Thread: CUPS in Chrome - Not Authorized

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

CUPS in Chrome - Not Authorized

Within the past day I've lost the ability to modify any CUPS settings via localhost:631 in Chome. I get a

Code:
    Unauthorized Enter your username and password or the root username and password to access this page. If you are using Kerberos authentication, make sure you have a valid Kerberos ticket.
    message when trying to modify an HP printer via Administration > Manage Printers. Printing & modifying printers had not been a problem previously in 18.04.

Otherwise, things seem to be going really well with 18.04 and I've had very few issues.

I post this to let others know that modifications can still be made to the printers if using Firefox - it appears to be a Chrome/CUPS issue. I'm sure this will be addressed; if not I'll file a bug report.
    Last edited by drs305; April 8th, 2018 at 04:44 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: CUPS in Chrome - Not Authorized

Could it be related to an https cert that chrome is becoming pickier about?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I just had this same problem. I thought it had to do with something I deleted (blues-cups?). So I installed beta version, and under Firefox it now works. I never thought about a browser problem. Looking at "/etc/cups" config files, nothing was out of place.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I found nothing about this issue with Chrome. The package I'm using to give me version 65 I downloaded from the Google site so it isn't really an Ubuntu bug. Firefox still works as normally (add, delete, modify CUPS).

Anyway, I've tried a lot of different things and finally got one to allow me to alter my printers without getting the "Unauthorized" message while accessing CUPS from Chrome.

I edited /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and changed the AuthType to None and commented the Require user @SYSTEM:
    <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM

Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
    to:
    <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>
    AuthType None
    # AuthType Default
    # Require user @SYSTEM

Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
    Then run
    Code:
    sudo service cups restart
    Disclaimer: Although my avatar still reflects some knowledge of Ubuntu, I 'retired' from the forums a long time ago. I don't know what, if any, ramifications there might be from altering this file (other than allowing me to use CUPS in Chrome). If you aren't comfortable altering system files, I'd highly recommend you just access CUPS via other means, including through Firefox.

I'd also like to emphasize that I believe this is a problem with Chrome. If you edit the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file, I'd make a copy first so you can restore it at a later date - when Chrome's issues with the way CUPS works gets resolved.
    Last edited by drs305; April 9th, 2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added Comment
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I didn't have issue with CUPS on manjaro-xfce using chrome. I checked cups config files on both manjaro and xubuntu. Their identical.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm having the same issue using chromium-browser. Usually there are some differences. Both fail on xubuntu editing cups.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

With the recent update of chrome(Version 66.0.3359.117 (Official Build) (64-bit)), manjaro cups now doesn't work.

edit: Archlinux user have the same issue:
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=235841
    Last edited by VMC; April 20th, 2018 at 12:34 AM. Reason: add outside link.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've also had this problem with Chrome in Xubuntu 18.04, and I can confirm that the workaround to remove permissions from /etc/cups/cupsd.conf works.

I'd add that the lines quoted from drs305 above are correct, though there are three similar entries in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf with little to distinguish between them.
    Look for the one containing "CUPS-Get-Devices" on the end of the row.

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Code:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu 18.04 is released.

Thread closed.