Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the best way to upgrade from 12.04 to 18.04?

Beans

Re: What's the best way to upgrade from 12.04 to 18.04?

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    If I were going to attempt an in place upgrade I'd first upgrade to 14.04 LTS. 12.04 is an LTS and should work OK. Once I had confirmed that 14.04 LTS worked well I'd do an in place upgrade to 16.04 LTS. I wouldn't upgrade to 18.04 yet. I don't plan on upgrading any of my 16.04 LTS systems until at least 18.04.1. That will be the first time an in place LTS upgrade will be automaticall offered. You can set the update manager to only look for LTS upgrades.
    No won't work since 12.04 is dead for too long. OP's only option is a clean install. Why do some people try so hard to jump through the hop to avoid clean install? It is by far the easiest, safest and fastest. "upgrade" almost never works if your system has been modified in some non trivial ways, thus removing the only reason that would possibly justify the upgrade instead of clean install (to save those modified configurations) and even if it works it takes a long time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

There are two great suggestions above: try a Live USB or Live DVD to check that the computer will work with a current OS, and install onto a new hard drive. Also consider Xubuntu, Lubuntu or Ubuntu Mate on this older computer. Ubuntu Mate probably has the smallest learning curve.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    No won't work since 12.04 is dead for too long.
    12.04 is an LTS. It has only been out of support for a year and the archives are still available. I haven't actually tried it but the upgrade path should still work since 14.04 LST is still supported.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

A clean install makes more sense, considering the differences between the two distros.

But would be interesting know if this sequence of updates would work, at all.

I have a secondary system that I'm upgrading since 16.04 with no major issues. But it is a secondary system.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
    12.04 is an LTS. It has only been out of support for a year and the archives are still available.
    Yes they are. They should have been moved to 'old releases' months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Also consider Xubuntu, Lubuntu or Ubuntu Mate on this older computer. Ubuntu Mate probably has the smallest learning curve.
    I recently tried to run Ubuntu 18.04 on a fairly new but inferior laptop. It was rather slow. It now runs Xubuntu.
    Quote Originally Posted by marciomj View Post
    A clean install makes more sense, considering the differences between the two distros.
    Agreed, bearing in mind the number of updates that will need to be downloaded for each upgrade.

Edit: It seems that the 12.04 archives are still in place for Canonical's Extended Security Maintenance, a paid-for support option not intended for home users.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; April 12th, 2018 at 10:48 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marciomj View Post

But would be interesting know if this sequence of updates would work, at all.

I have a secondary system that I'm upgrading since 16.04 with no major issues. But it is a secondary system.
    I have systems that have been continuously updated since about 6.04 of course all of the hardware has been upgraded over the years. While I do run into problems and sometimes do need to do a reinstall the upgrades seem to work pretty well although there are some issues. For example some old scripts in init.d were apparently left behind by some old upgrade which caused no real problems but did generate some error messages after the switch to systemd. I eventually tracked them down and deleted them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12