Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How many Linux/Ubuntu OSs do you use?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How many Linux/Ubuntu OSs do you use?

HP Envy 17 laptop -3 installations on the internal drive :

1. Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty (my most used install) with 11 available sessions to boot into (8 significantly different DEs) eg....
    Code:
    yetiman:~ $ echo ""; echo $(ls /usr/share/xsessions/ | sed 's/\.desktop//')

cairo-dock gnome-classic gnome i3 i3-with-shmlog mate openbox ubuntu ubuntustudio xfce xubuntu
    Currently posting this from the i3 session (not a desktop environment as such, just an X window manager)
    2. Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial and
    3. Debian 9 Stretch
    With room spare for two more installations on the internal drive ...
    installs.png

Also for plugging into the laptop via USB, I have 1 headless installation of Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty (purely CLI only) on an external drive for use in data recovery and for booting various iso tool disks and OSes from the hdd of the external drive utilizing its grub bootloader. I can also access and play the main internal hdd media storage files from the external drive when booted into it. Both music and video files can be played as pulseadio is installed and the linux framebuffer is enabled allowing normal videos and dvds from iso files to be played in the CLI environment. Image files can be viewed on the CLI with the framebuffer device and the application "fbi" installed. The hardest task was writing the scripting to play the iso video files with mplayer on the CLI .
    external-install.png

Finally I have a desktop tower with 1 install of Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty which admittedly has not been updated or used for many months as the tower needs some hardware repairs/troubleshooting done on it.

So in total I have 5 linux installations of which I would count 4 as "in use" and regularly updated. Cheers, yeti.
    Last edited by yetimon_64; April 14th, 2018 at 06:41 AM. Reason: added sentence for image viewing in the CLI

Beans

-I have, as of yesterday when I loaded over the Win10 partition, a dedicated Ubuntu 17.10 laptop.
    -I also have a Win10 laptop with:
    Oracle Virtual Box with Debian VM
    VMWare with Kali, Mint, Anarchy, Parrot, Tails, and Fedora VMs
    -Raspberry Pi2 with Raspian and Kali
    -Bootable USB sticks with Shark and Manjaro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have one computer that runs Linux, don't need another. Currently running Ubuntu 18.04 beta 2. One SSD has a windows 10 install for gaming. Everything else I do on my phone. I find laptops fascinating but the one time I had one I never used it so won't get one again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Why so many old distros still in use? How can you resist upgrading from say Ubuntu 14 to Ubuntu 16 or the brand new 18 which comes out soon?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deanr2 View Post
    Why so many old distros still in use? How can you resist upgrading from say Ubuntu 14 to Ubuntu 16 or the brand new 18 which comes out soon?
    I'm sure some people like to stick with what they are familiar with. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by coffeefiend View Post
    I'm sure some people like to stick with what they are familiar with. As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    I thought the motto here was "If it ain't broke, you haven't tweaked it enough."

Beans

Because new releases are usually buggy and it takes at least til the first point release to have many bugs fixed? Because software support is sketchy for new releases? e.g some of the repositories I use are not set up yet for new releases. Usually take about a month at least, and some third party applications I need for work only support LTS and it will be a while before 18.04 is supported. I have tweaked 16.04 extensively to get best performance, why would I update to 18.04 and start all over again? With a combination of ppas and self compiled my system is future proof for a while, most of the software I use are newer than 18.04's stock offers but for system components which I don't really need to update since everything works with my hardware already (but 18.04 may not) Finally I consider gnome-shell to be a regression comparing to unity, I will be installing unity session when I upate, it will be more or less the same except for the default wallpaper to me, so yeah I certainly can resist.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 26th, 2018 at 06:55 AM.

Beans

I thought the motto here was "If it ain't broke, you haven't tweaked it enough."
    Some of us do use Ubuntu for work.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by coffeefiend View Post
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    "If it ain't broke, you haven't tweaked it enough."
    Both sayings have their place. The laptop I have Ubuntu on (dual boot with vista) must have been tweaked a fair bit, unless, of course, you count damage done by the cat (who didn't want to be removed from the keyboard one night) and the gunk installed in the innards back when I used to smoke.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234