Thread: Stuck at grub rescue after installing ChaletOS

Beans

Stuck at grub rescue after installing ChaletOS

Hello, I'm posting this here, since I've sent a message to the ChaletOS team and I don't get a response. I've spent several hours googling but I haven't found a solution.
    I installed ChaletOS 16.04 from a USB stick in a new partition I created (*) (I also created a swap partition). When the installation finished and rebooted, I was directly sent to the grub rescue shell, with this message: "error: unknown filesystem". After investigating, I realized that the "root" and "prefix" grub variables were pointing to the wrong partition. The steps I followed were these:

1) set root=(hd0,msdos2)/ -> When issuing the command: "ls (hd0,msdos2)/" it shows the linux root, so I know it's the correct partition.
    2) set prefix=(hd0,msdos2)/boot/grub/i386-pc -> here is where I found all the .mod grub files where at.
    3) insmod normal -> This is where the problem is. I get this error: symbol not found: 'grub_divmod64'.

All the answers I've found to this problem said I should boot from a live CD (or USB) and reinstall grub, but the thing is I can't even do that. My BIOS boot priority is correctly configured to boot from my USB stick first (it's a netbook, I don't have a CD drive), still, "grub rescue" is the first thing I see, and I can't get out of it.

I'm completely locked outside of my computer and about to cry. Does anybody know how to solve this? :'(
    Thanks in advance!

PD: (*) extra info just in case it's relevant: Before this whole thing, I had 3 partitions:
    1) Linux Mint 13
    2) a broken Windows 7
    3) fat32 partition for data in general
    To install ChaletOS I erased the first 2 partitions, and created a new one for ChaletOS and a swap partition too.
    Last edited by lucianam42; April 9th, 2018 at 02:06 AM. Reason: solved!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Stuck at grub rescue after installing ChaletOS

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Thread moved to Ubuntu/Debian BASED, a more appropriate forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Do not know if it works on your Chalet installer.
    You may need Ubuntu live installer and add ppa to it.
    It may work or just be missing a command or two.

May be best to see details, you can run from your Ubuntu live installer or any working install, use ppa version not older Boot-Repair ISO:
    Post the link to the Create BootInfo summary report. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info and:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hello oldfred! thanks for replying.

The problem is that I can't boot from any Live CD, I tried with the same Chalet live installer, with the live versions of SuperGrub, Boot-Repair, and even GParted. None of those booted. It always goes to the grub rescue shell. It's so frustrating, because I was perfectly able to boot from USB when I installed Chalet, and now I can't

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Is system UEFI?
    It has a fast boot setting that assumes no changes to hardware nor configuration and immediately starts booting. Or booting the non-working system.
    Your system may need to "cold" boot rather than a warm reboot.
    If laptop remove battery.
    Power down system & unplug it. Hold power switch for 10 sec or so.
    Then see if you can boot and press correct key to either get into UEFI/BIOS (often f2 or del key) or UEFI/BIOS boot menu key often f10 or f12.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi oldfred! I apologize for the delay. I tried what you said, and it worked!! After that it let me boot from my USB stick with a SuperGrub live version, from which I was able to boot my Chalet installation. Then I ran the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdX  #(in my case, sda)
    sudo update-grub
    After that, grub was fixed, no more grub rescue

Thank you so much!!!