Thread: Upgrading to the latest version of Ubunty

Beans

Upgrading to the latest version of Ubunty

Hi all, I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with Unity on a new System76 laptop. Is it ok if I upgrade the latest versions of Ubunty, and that I won't break anything? Or is it best that I stay with 16.04 LTS? How do I safely upgrade to the latest version? Thank you for your support.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Upgrading to the latest version of Ubunty

Quote Originally Posted by waltd View Post
    Hi all, I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with Unity on a new System76 laptop. Is it ok if I upgrade the latest versions of Ubunty, and that I won't break anything? Or is it best that I stay with 16.04 LTS? How do I safely upgrade to the latest version? Thank you for your support.
    I recommend staying with the LTS versions of Ubuntu and holding off on a new version until it reaches .1 release so most bugs are worked out. Your current version will be fully supported until 2021 so there is no rush to upgrade. The LTS version will not have the latest versions of a lot of packages because it's focus is stability and that's a good thing. When it comes time to upgrade, go to the System76 site and follow their instructions. I have upgraded twice with no problem on my Sys76 laptop. Just be patient and read the instructions carefully. Back up any important files before any upgrade.

Again, take this time to get to know your new computer, you have lots of time before you will need to upgrade your OS.

Paul

Beans

Re: Upgrading to the latest version of Ubunty

Paul, your points are good and well taken. Thanks for the advice.