Thread: HELP: Linux on Intel Atom Tablet

Beans

HELP: Linux on Intel Atom Tablet

My brother gave me a box full of tablets for me to fix.

Amongst them I found a tablet with a Quad-Core Intel Atom(Z3735G) processor, 1GB ram and 16GB internal storage. It would be fun to get a Linux distro running on it, eventually Puppy Linux or Lubuntu.
    I am having trouble getting a Live USB to boot, I keep getting a initramfs prompt.

I am using isorespin.sh and I disabled splash and get the following:
    Code:
    efi: requested map not found.
    esrt: ESRT header is not in the memory map.
    i2c_ i2c_0: failed to register I2c client INT33FE:00 at 0x68
    i2c_ i2c_0: failed to add I2C device INT33FE:00 from from ACPI
    i2c_h8id i2c_GODX0911:00: failed to get GPIO interrupt 
    drm:pwm_setup_backlight failed toown the pwn ch

(initramfs) unable to find a medium containing a live file system
    Has anyone experimented with doing this and can give me some advice on how to get it to boot the Live USB?

Thanks
    Regards, Jake.
    Last edited by 3djake; April 2nd, 2018 at 10:05 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HELP: Linux on Intel Atom Tablet

Tablets are not general computers. The BIOS used will dictate what you can and cannot do with them. Some are locked to a specific OS. The first task is to determine the EXACT model of tablet and see what others with that model have achieved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have an Intel Atom powered Compute Stick.
    Ubuntu was missing some drivers so I used Linuxium, which added these drivers to several versions of Ubuntu.
    I have been using a Pi lately for my entertainment center, so I may not be up to date, but I think this work has been superseded by the 'isorespin.sh' script which can respin an official ISO suitable for use on Intel Atom devices.
    see: http://www.linuxium.com.au/how-tos

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Tablets are not general computers. The BIOS used will dictate what you can and cannot do with them. Some are locked to a specific OS. The first task is to determine the EXACT model of tablet and see what others with that model have achieved.
    I know this, but the fact that it has an Intel Atom and that it goes to grub and supports efi means that in theory with a bit of hacking I should be to get it boot to Linux with limited functionality.
    It is a cheap tablet, so I doubt anyone else has done anything with this exact same model but maybe some one else has experimented with something similar.
    Model TM800A510L
    BIOS Vendor: American Megatrends
    Core Version: 5.008, UEFI 2.3; PI 1.2, Project Ver: 3dair 0.13 x64

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    I have an Intel Atom powered Compute Stick.
    Ubuntu was missing some drivers so I used Linuxium, which added these drivers to several versions of Ubuntu.
    I have been using a Pi lately for my entertainment center, so I may not be up to date, but I think this work has been superseded by the 'isorespin.sh' script which can respin an official ISO suitable for use on Intel Atom devices.
    see: http://www.linuxium.com.au/how-tos
    Thanks, respiniso is what I am using.

I suspect there are some kernel parameters I need for it to boot, another thing is once I get to the initramfs my keyboard stops functioning, so I cannot interact with the prompt.
    When I tried gentoo it did not find any block devices
    Code:
    Block device /dev/sde1 is not a valid root device
    could not find the block root devices in .
    Last edited by 3djake; April 2nd, 2018 at 07:33 AM.

Beans

Managed to boot lubuntu from SD card. It seems that when I tried to boot from USB devices it would lose connection to USB at some point loading the kernel. I have to unplug my usb keyboard and plug it back in once lubuntu has booted for it to work.

I would like to get the touchscreen to work, any ideas?

UPDATE: I got touchscreen to work https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2388608
    Last edited by 3djake; April 14th, 2018 at 03:42 PM.

Beans

Hi, in case anyone is still interested in a solution for getting linux on that kind of tablet to work... try using WUBI. Get it here https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi/releases

Here a little instruction https://www.lifewire.com/wubi-linux-...rogram-2201175

Have fun

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3djake View Post

Amongst them I found a tablet with a Quad-Core Intel Atom(Z3735G) processor, 1GB ram and 16GB internal storage. It would be fun to get a Linux distro running on it, eventually Puppy Linux or Lubuntu.
    I've just installed the latest peppermint 64bit on this same tablet, no sound, no camera, but everything else works pretty sweet. Are you still interested in finding out how?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thuspar View Post
    I've just installed the latest peppermint 64bit on this same tablet, no sound, no camera, but everything else works pretty sweet. Are you still interested in finding out how?

I would like to know the complete instructions on how to put BIOS or lunux (ubuntu) on my tablet.
    Last edited by lisati; May 3rd, 2019 at 04:35 AM.

Beans

I have a Linx1010B which is a quad core Atom Z3735F with 2GB of RAM and installed xubuntu 18.04 onto it, the BIOS uses a 32 bit EFI so i to used the isorepin.sh but had to resort to Rufus boot USB creator to write to my pen drive for it to be detected by the tablets BIOS, once installed it worked great, I then created an auto rotate script for it (Which rotated the display and the touchscreen input, based on the orientation i also got it to load the onscreen keyboard) Audio was a bit touchy at first but after blacklisting the hdmi audio module and turning down the microphone levels audio now works perfectly.