Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gthumb is ruined!

Beans

Re: Gthumb is ruined!

The GNOME devs seem hell bent on wrecking everything from GTK+ 3 upwards and outwards so I'm seriously looking at QT. KDE PLasma is a bit too bloated for my liking but I see that Budgie is changing to QT. And eventually LXQt will get the wrinkles ironed out. Deepin seems to have the wrinkles ironed out already but I'm not quite ready to make that leap.

For now I can live with (but not love) Ubuntu 16.04 tweaked to my liking and keep playing until 2021 grows nearer before making a decision. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when it comes to wanting an OS that I can truly love again. But for now anything GTK based is pretty much off the list, unless MATE totally revives GTK +2.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    the only 1 that caught my attention this week was that new slax 9, i installed it to a very old lappy. https://distrowatch.com/
    try that in vm, talk about really dumbing down.
    Oh man! I like that little thing. Tiny and simple, yet still useful. Not as your main machine, obviously, but Slax 9.4 is pretty cool for what it is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by futz2 View Post
    Oh man! I like that little thing. Tiny and simple, yet still useful. Not as your main machine, obviously, but Slax 9.4 is pretty cool for what it is.
    lol, i know right. throw that puppy in memory & wohooo.
    i wish it had a normal type installer though. coping the /slax folder & running the .bat file was a chore, i ran another live linux to do the work of formatting the disk, coping the folder & running the bootinst.bat

Beans

Haha! Found another great quote.

"This is my workbench, dammit. It's not a pretty box to impress people with graphics and sounds. When I work at this system up to 12 hours a day, I'm profoundly uninterested in what user interface a novice user would prefer."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think this example shows two of the things that make Linux so powerful (and interesting) to me:

1. Developers can scratch their own itches and do as they like.
    2. Users have choices, Nautilus not doing it for you anymore than use Nemo (or Thunar or PCManFM or Dolphin (not sure how well that works outside full blown KDE)... heck Ranger is also an option
    Where is my mind?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I was massively put off by the whole Gnome 3 thing, was placated somewhat with being able to use fallback mode, but that has since been scrapped.

But, I'm really pleased with MATE, I feel like a grownup again.

Beans

I think you can try xnviewmp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12