Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Is there a step-by-step guide to transfer files between two Linux computers?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Beans
    66

    Re: Is there a step-by-step guide to transfer files between two Linux computers?

    Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    If you kill NetworkManager, then you got to restart it again later with:
    $ sudo systemctl restart networking.service

    Once connected, you can start the sshd service or a FTP server or whatever you want. There are umpteen ways to share files.

    You can even make a tar ball and transfer it with netcat.
    Hi, I am trying things out.

    Code:
    sudo killall NetworkManager
    This works to stop my connection. BUT, this below does not restart it!
    Code:
    sudo systemctl restart networking.service
    Instead, I needed to use this line:
    Code:
    sudo service network-manager restart
    I was able to google this on my phone.

    I did not reboot my computer altogether. But would both NetworkManager and dhclient restart themselves from a computer reboot????

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lab, Slovakia
    Beans
    10,433

    Re: Is there a step-by-step guide to transfer files between two Linux computers?

    How to restart a service depends on your version of Ubuntu - whether you use Poetering's folly or not.

    If you kill a service, the computer configuration is not changed, so it will run again on the next boot.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Beans
    66

    Re: Is there a step-by-step guide to transfer files between two Linux computers?

    Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    How to restart a service depends on your version of Ubuntu - whether you use Poetering's folly or not.

    If you kill a service, the computer configuration is not changed, so it will run again on the next boot.
    Good to know! How about the requirement to configure the ethernet IP addresses?

    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    Once I am done with all the file transfers, do I need to do anything to re-configure the IP addresses back to the way they were? Or would a computer reboot be sufficient to make the computers the way they were???

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Beans
    66

    Re: Is there a step-by-step guide to transfer files between two Linux computers?

    Hi, I have another update. I did the manual step-up of IP addresses on both computers. They were able to ping each other with the ping command. When I tried to transfer a small file, it failed.

    Code:
    $scp /home/aaron/Downloads/introcast0703.pdf ann@192.168.1.1:/home/ann/Downloads
    ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.1 port 22: Connection refused
    lost connection
    Any idea why? Thanks.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lab, Slovakia
    Beans
    10,433

    Re: Is there a step-by-step guide to transfer files between two Linux computers?

    You need to enable sshd first.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Beans
    66

    Re: Is there a step-by-step guide to transfer files between two Linux computers?

    Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    You need to enable sshd first.
    Oh...what is SSHD and how to enable it? Did I need to disable it after I am done? Thanks.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona U.S.A.
    Beans
    5,010

    Re: Is there a step-by-step guide to transfer files between two Linux computers?

    Oh...what is SSHD and how to enable it? Did I need to disable it after I am done? Thanks.
    sshd is short for ssh daemon, whicn listens for incoming connections. Have you installed openssh-server on the remote machine? That also installs the daemon, and it would be started at startup, so after a restart sshd should be running.

    And you need not disable it after the transfers.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Beans
    66

    Re: Is there a step-by-step guide to transfer files between two Linux computers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    sshd is short for ssh daemon, whicn listens for incoming connections. Have you installed openssh-server on the remote machine? That also installs the daemon, and it would be started at startup, so after a restart sshd should be running.

    And you need not disable it after the transfers.
    No. Unless this came with the installation, I have not installed this on either computer. Is it easy to do so?

    Also, if I want to transfer files from either computer to the other one, would I need to install this on both computers??? Thanks.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona U.S.A.
    Beans
    5,010

    Re: Is there a step-by-step guide to transfer files between two Linux computers?

    Quote Originally Posted by sonicking View Post
    No. Unless this came with the installation, I have not installed this on either computer. Is it easy to do so?

    Also, if I want to transfer files from either computer to the other one, would I need to install this on both computers??? Thanks.
    openssh-server is not installed with the default installation. Install it at least on the remote computer. The installation is all automatic in that it will work without any configuration by you. You can optionally set up some security policy configurations on who or what can log in etc. and this should be looked into since the ssh server will remain active.

    But, my only use of ssh is on a network with a router present to assign IP addresses, so I am not sure how the direct connection (called an ad hoc connection) actually would be set up. Looks like you have already been advised here how to do that - a google search turns up further advice -> here is a thread on this forum on how to set it up that was apparently successful but used samba - but that may be overkill - I would try what was suggested first.

    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1167974
    Last edited by Dennis N; March 26th, 2018 at 04:40 PM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Beans
    66

    Re: Is there a step-by-step guide to transfer files between two Linux computers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    openssh-server is not installed with the default installation. Install it at least on the remote computer. The installation is all automatic in that it will work without any configuration by you. You can optionally set up some security policy configurations on who or what can log in etc. and this should be looked into since the ssh server will remain active.

    But, my only use of ssh is on a network with a router present to assign IP addresses, so I am not sure how the direct connection (called an ad hoc connection) actually would be set up. Looks like you have already been advised here how to do that - a google search turns up further advice -> here is a thread on this forum on how to set it up that was apparently successful but used samba - but that may be overkill - I would try what was suggested first.

    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1167974
    Is Samba easier than openssh-server? I feel like the fact that openssh-server not requiring additional configuration may be easier. I mean, I am only sharing locally....But could someone confirm? Thanks!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •