Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 18.04 collecting Data ???? :(

Beans

Lightbulb Ubuntu 18.04 collecting Data ???? :(

With the release of Ubuntu 18.04, Canocial will start collecting user data. I could see eventually this will grow and they will start selling browser habits to Google and A**pple. Why can't ubuntu get money via us donating spare cpu power which mines/does work in exchange they will no longer need to sell our data. They could partner with oyster pearl. https://oysterprotocol.com/ I would happily donate some spare cpu power to ubuntu here and there or once a week.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 collecting Data ???? :(

Moved to chat.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You may opt-out.

That still rankles, as I am no fan of opt-out and think it should be opt-in. It seems Canonical has forgotten about the troll-storm a few years ago.

Anyway, you can opt out if you care to.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Please scroll down to "What data will be collected":

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/...ection-opt-out

Nothing seems scary to me about them wanting to know any of this:

Which version of Ubuntu you’re installing (including which flavour)
    Whether you have network connectivity
    Hardware stats, including CPU, RAM, GPU, etc
    Your device vendor (e.g., Dell, Lenovo, etc)
    Your country
    How long your install took to complete
    Whether you have auto login enabled
    Your disk layout
    Whether you chose to install third party codecs
    Whether you chose to download updates during install
    I want them to know I use mostly 6 to 10 year old hardware. I'm pretty sure a lot of us do, so if they know that they're more likely to keep supporting it.

Beans

"Whether you have network connectivity" is funny in that simply receiving the report ought to tell them that.

Everything listed there seems reasonable to collect for development purposes and doesn't sound like marketing to me. That said, I would have to agree that the right way to do things is to default to opt-out instead of opt-in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I really do not have a problem with that type of data being collected. It's all things that would simply make Ubuntu better as a distribution and giving the users what they need or want. I do not feel it is anything for people to get carried away over, you can opt out if it bothers you that much after all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Please scroll down to "What data will be collected":

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/...ection-opt-out

Nothing seems scary to me about them wanting to know any of this:

I want them to know I use mostly 6 to 10 year old hardware. I'm pretty sure a lot of us do, so if they know that they're more likely to keep supporting it.
    People don't care what data is collected. They just think they have privacy, which no one does anymore. Canonical saying they are doing this ruins a persons illusion of privacy. The split second your computer is on the internet they are looking at everything about it. Privacy is gone as long as the internet is around.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How many people have clicked OK to any OS or application's Terms & Conditions without reading them? Same for joining a social networking site. I think that people will find that what certain companies are doing is quite legal because the users have click OK.

I do not remember having to accept Terms & Conditions the last time I installed Ubuntu. But here they are

https://www.ubuntu.com/legal/terms-and-policies/terms

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I'm not especially worried about reporting the things they want to know. Of all the stuff I've divulged online over the years, that list is very tame. The potential for doing good for the project overall versus the potential for Canonical to do harm with it is skewed positively enough for me to opt in (or not opt-out).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

As long as the data gathering does not adversely impact my CPU usage, RAM, or bandwidth, then I do not have a problem with it.....IF, the data being collecting is limited to what Canonical says they are gathering.

I am using a free OS that did not cost me a dime. Helping Canonical devs is a small price I am happy to pay to continue getting a free OS.

If they start down the slippery slope to Facebook types of data gathering, then my opinion will change.
    Lenovo Ideapad Laptop (81CW) - Linux User #624832
    Pentium CPU 4415U (2.30GHz, x4) - 4G RAM
    Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast