Thread: Toshiba and Ubuntu: not the best of friends?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Toshiba and Ubuntu: not the best of friends?

Greetings,

I have been using Ubuntu on my T61 and T400 without any problems for ages, and now I am thinking of getting hold of a refurbished Tecra R840. Having googled Toshiba+Ubuntu and Toshiba+Linux, I am beginning to get the impression that Toshiba and Ubuntu are not the best of friends. Is this an accurate assessment? Are there any people here who have the said machine with Ubuntu installed on it? Or should Toshiba as a manufacturer be shunned if Ubuntu is your thing?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by imgeka; March 20th, 2018 at 09:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Toshiba and Ubuntu: not the best of friends?

Hi imgeka. Welcome to the forum

I would not draw such a definite conclusion. I've had a couple of Satellites and I had no problem with them. As a matter of fact, I'm using a Toshiba Satellite A665 running 16.04 at this very moment.

Usually the wireless chip, and the graphic card, not the brand itself, are the source of most difficulties.

Do you know the hardware specs details?

Best Regards.

Beans

Toshiba satellite working fine here as well, running elementary os based on ubuntu 16

if it's the version with the intel gpu, you should be fine.
    Last edited by kerry_s; March 20th, 2018 at 10:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi,

Thanks for the quick feedback.

The Toshiba comes with Intel Core i5-2520M and Intel HD graphics.

I have been having problems with 'newer' Thinkpads as well (2nd generation i5 in this case); for instance that Ubuntu won't shut down. No such problems with T61 and T400.

Beans

i say go for it. but if you can take a live usb & boot that sucker up. then you'll really know.

Beans

I have a hand me down satellite z930 labtop which I run Ubuntu 16.04 on, it is fast and everything just works, can't be better. Well actually it can be better but it has nothing to do with the OS, the laptop comes with a stupid secure screw that has a small spike in the middle of it and needs a special Torx screw driver to open. Try to add some ram but even the computer repair guys don't have the screw driver. As far as running Ubuntu though, it is perfect.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    I have a hand me down satellite z930 labtop which I run Ubuntu 16.04 on, it is fast and everything just works, can't be better. Well actually it can be better but it has nothing to do with the OS, the laptop comes with a stupid secure screw that has a small spike in the middle of it and needs a special Torx screw driver to open. Try to add some ram but even the computer repair guys don't have the screw driver. As far as running Ubuntu though, it is perfect.
    lol, time to break out the drill. tip: don't hold the torx driver while drilling it.