Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ralink RT3090 has slow connection speed 16.04

Beans

Ralink RT3090 has slow connection speed 16.04

Hello,
    I am new to linux and setting up my lenovo Z575 laptop with Ubuntu 16.04. Everything seems to be working well, except the wireless network speed is very slow. My computer is dual boot with Windows 7. In Windows, I get 30 MB/s download and upload speeds. In linux, I am getting 0.3 and 1.8 MB/s download and upload speed, respectively. I've updated and upgraded, disabled IPv6, rebooted router and computer. I ran the wireless info script and the results can be found here:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/Z6KDrZjmQr/

I would appreciate any help you can give me. Please let me know if there is any other information you need. Thanks!

Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ralink RT3090 has slow connection speed 16.04

Please do:
    Code:
    echo "options rt2800pci  nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rt2800pci.conf
    sudo modprobe -rfv rt2800pci
    sudo modprobe -v rt2800pci
    Then:
    Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/wifi.powersave = 3/wifi.powersave = 2/' /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf
    When you run the first command if you get an error let me know and we will change the number 1 to a y becasue all of the file you posted is not there so I can not be 100 percent sure if it should be a 1 or a y but it will not hurt to run the command.
    I think that will help a lot.

Beans

I tried the code you suggested. Did not get any errors and I rebooted my computer. Did not seem to make much of a difference. Maybe a slight improvement... I reran the wireless script:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/TYDJVV22HK/

I could try pasting the text, but it is a pretty long file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I know it is a long file but very easy to do with copy and paste function to pastebin.

I image since you are on the same channel as another network and its signal is very strong your device is trying to roam between the two but I can not tell since most of the file is missing, I recommend changing the channel to a fixed channel instead of auto, try 11.

I also recommend setting your encryption to just wpa2 and not mixed mode, also go into network manager and change your settings to match the screenshots.

I realize you have already set IPV6 to ignore but do make all the other changes please.

Reboot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wildmanne39; March 18th, 2018 at 11:28 PM.

Beans

I manually copied to pastebin so it should have the full file:

https://pastebin.com/tr8Lc0Fc

For changing the channel, I would do that on the router, correct? For changing the mixed mode to WPA2, in the network settings there was only an option for WPA and WPA2, not WPA2 only. I'm guessing this a change on the router also? Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by matteo35 View Post
    I manually copied to pastebin so it should have the full file:

https://pastebin.com/tr8Lc0Fc

For changing the channel, I would do that on the router, correct? For changing the mixed mode to WPA2, in the network settings there was only an option for WPA and WPA2, not WPA2 only. I'm guessing this a change on the router also? Thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.
    Yes both settings are in the router and after changing them you have to save the changes before you close the browser window.

Seeing the rest of the file it looks like channel 6 may be the best choice for you network, there is still 4 networks on that channel but there signal strength is very weak so it should not cause issues with your network.

When you make the changes to just WPA2 in your router set it to CCMP also know as AES right now it shows CCMP/TKIP TKIP is slower and I have never seen both together so this may cause an issue.

The driver parameter should have been with a y and not a 1 so lets fix that, please do:
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/rt2800pci.conf
    Then:
    Code:
    echo "options rt2800pci  nohwcrypt=y" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rt2800pci.conf
    sudo modprobe -rfv rt2800pci
    sudo modprobe -v rt2800pci
    after you run all the commands and make the changes in your router reboot and I think you should see some improvement.

You may also want to change your network name, I know linux in general has issues with certain names like with spaces and the like I have never seen one with all numbers before so that may cause an issue.

Beans

I went through and made the changes you suggested, except that I did not change the router name. I may test that this evening if I have time, but it seems like a stretch considering I can connect to the router. When I look at connection information, it doesn't appear to ever try switching to another signal. However, I do see in the connection speed that it will say 54 MB/s and every so often will drop to 1 MB/s. Any downloads I have attempted over wifi occur at the very slow speed and I have to connect to a cable to get them to complete. At work now, so I will paste the connection info later this evening.

Are there specific drivers that I need to install? When I look at the list of linux drivers, I do not see my ralink driver there. Doing some searching I found this article:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/6861...google_rich_qa

Could something like this be the problem?

Here is my updated connection information:
    https://pastebin.com/SMZnTQeQ

Thanks for your help!
    Matt
    Last edited by matteo35; March 22nd, 2018 at 12:08 AM.

Beans

Post Re: Ralink RT3090 has slow connection speed 16.04

Just want to bump this thread. I haven't made much progress on this problem since I've been super busy. Also I have not seen any other suggestions. Should I give up and try getting a wireless wifi adapter?

Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Can you please show
    Code:
    dmesg | grep rt2

Beans

Here it is:

[ 21.178849] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rt: Info - RT chipset 3090, rev 3213 detected
    [ 21.184091] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rf: Info - RF chipset 0005 detected
    [ 21.683166] rt2800pci 0000:03:00.0 wlp3s0: renamed from wlan0
    [ 28.759974] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Loading firmware file 'rt2860.bin'
    [ 29.361320] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Firmware detected - version: 0.34

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast