Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ralink RT3090 has slow connection speed 16.04

Beans

Re: Ralink RT3090 has slow connection speed 16.04

Another bump to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try installing "LinSSID" and search for free channels. Channel 6 is very busy

Beans

I will do that and take a look. One thing to consider is that I have no issues when running Windows 7 on that laptop (it's dual boot). Also, I was going to try and see how it works when connecting to a different router at my in-laws, I just haven't been able to get around to it. There will be no other interference there...

Beans

So I installed LinSSID. It appears channel 1 is the busiest channel and channels 6 and 11 are roughly equivalent. Right now I have it set back at channel 1, but I will probably change it to 11. Even on the busiest channel, Windows gets 30 MB/s and Linux gets 0.5 MB/s. I can try connecting to a different router this evening and at least see if the router might be the issue.

Beans
    Distro

Try Wicd instead:
    Code:
    wget http://www.elektronenblitz63.de/download/wicd-1.6.x_addon01441.tar.gz
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall wicd
    tar xvf wicd-1.6.x_addon01441.tar.gz
    cd wicd-1.6.x_addon01441
    sudo ./install_wicd_addon
    sudo service network-manager stop
    sudo killall wpa_supplicant
    sudo service wicd restart

Beans

Ok, I've tried a couple of things. Before performing the commands you suggest above, I tried connecting to another wireless router. This seemed to go much better as I was able to get 17 MB/s download and 3 MB/s upload. I don't have that connection information but will try it again another day when I have a chance. After that, I came home and tried the commands above. I had no issues until I got to the last 3 commands. After each one I got the following response:

sudo: unable to resolve host z757: Connection timed out

At the end, I had no wireless network connection at all. I tried rebooting and the wireless network was available again but was very slow. I tried repeating the commands, but then I lose my network again. AT this point I opened the WICD network manager and tried connecting through the program. It says that I connected, but I did not have internet access. So, after all of that, if I restart the computer, it goes back to being able to connect at the original slow speed.

*edit adding current wireless info:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/y3XByhgHvk/

Matt
    Last edited by matteo35; April 10th, 2018 at 02:33 AM.

Beans

Just bumping again. I will be able to go try the other wireless router this weekend and get a print out of what goes on when I connect to that one.

Beans
    Distro

Change the encryption mode to WPA2-AES (CCMP), not mixed mode WPA/WPA2 (without TKIP)

Beans

I changed my router to WPA2 and I changed in WICD also. No improvement. Although, my network manager says WPA/WPA2.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/Zqv9rcPdTd/

Beans

I installed the drivers for a usb wireless adapter. I was able to get that working, but the slowness issue continued. So, I think that rules out my wireless card. I will post my information this evening when I am at home. Is it possible that there is an incompatibility with my router? When I go to another house and use a different router, it seems to work ok. I guess I need to compile statistics for all of these different cases and find out what is different! If only I had infinite time... Thanks for all the help so far. I have really learned a lot and I am very appreciative that you guys are willing to take the time to help new users like myself!

Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12