Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping Unity was the most stupid thing to do...IMHO

Beans

Dropping Unity was the most stupid thing to do...IMHO

I tried the new LTS Beta, and in comparison to the 16.04 it's like every other average Linux distro. Why would Ubuntu abandon something that actually made Ubuntu it's own thing, and "rejoin the pack", as I read in some silly article justifying the stupid change?! I tried almost every kind of DE available, and nothing even comes close to Unity, especially if you are using a laptop. And I use Ubuntu for actual work, not just for browsing and testing distros. I am a translator, and as someone who is used to mainly keep his hands on the keyboard, Unity is perfect for me. Since most of the time I use my laptop, and not my phone or tablet or what have you, Unity is the most ergonomic DE out there, now wasting a single pixel of my screen on bulky title lanes and glittery gimmicky bloats. And moreover, it's so less distracting when I get to see the menu's only when I need them - yes, I am talking about the global menu and the hud. Unity is the most effective and the most minimalistic workspace out there, and everything else compared to it, to me feels like a toy. Again, why would you abandon a feature that made Ubuntu better than Windows and Mac combined...it's beyond me, really.
    Last edited by Aleksej; March 18th, 2018 at 02:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Dropping Unity was the most stupid thing to do...IMHO

Not a technical support request. Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

And...

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej View Post
    Again, why would you abandon a feature that made Ubuntu better than Windows and Mac combined...it's beyond me, really.
    No one here abandoned anything. This is a user forum consisting entirely of volunteers, mostly ordinary users, forum staff included. We are not employed by Canonical, nor are we responsible for their design and strategic decisions.

Also - please refer to the forum Code of Conduct here: https://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=showrules

The purpose of the Ubuntu Forums is to provide support for Ubuntu. We also want this to be a place where community can develop and we can enjoy one another's company. To achieve this, we strive to maintain an atmosphere that can be enjoyed by all and we ask all members of the community to be respectful at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with respect. If you do this, the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Of course, I meant nothing personal nor I intended to offend anybody.

Beans

Unity can be installed on 18.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'll miss Unity personally. I won't use it though as I'm guessing it will die a slow painful death. I don't like to hang onto the past if I can help it. They've moved to Gnome and it is what it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I like Unity, it works fine for me. The main problem I've had with Ub 14.04 and 16.04, is intermittent wake up from suspend failure resulting in the need to reboot. I doubt that's associated with Unity (right?). Usually, this happens after an update, and I cure it for a month or two by doing a reinstall of an o/s backup that was doing ok, followed by an another updating. I have no idea what's causing this.

Most changes (in my experience), whether it's to a website or the menu setup for a program, just represent hassle with no real increase in reliability or functionality.

Last week I created a new partition and installed Ub 18.04 into it. My "test" of it was to see if I could install qt5-fsarchiver into it - I rely on that backup program quite a bit. I couldn't, so I deleted the install.

Maybe I'll just stick with Ub 16.04 until someone points out an actual function / reliability advantage to changing.
    Last edited by ra7411; March 18th, 2018 at 03:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It's nothing more than opinion here but the change back to Gnome drew me back in. Unity is still an option for those that really enjoy it and nothing is stopping anyone from picking it up and developing it. I haven't been a big Gnome Shell fan but I genuinely like the way the DE is presented in 18.04. The default theme, icons and extensions go a long way in making it look more modern than it does in most distros. Other than the HUD most functionality is the same.

Gnome Shell does have its own advantages too, with extensions you can make it however you like to suit your specific needs or taste. I must admit though that Unity sold me on keeping the launcher on the left of the screen and I am still going to stay with that in Gnome Shell! I also think it took guts for Canonical to drop Unity. There was a lot of talk and articles written about Unity 8 so making the announcement of dropping it must have been a tough pill to swallow.

I have to commend Canonical on how they made the switch back to Gnome and kept the needs of the community in mind this time. They are doing their best to make the transition as painless as possible, they put Unity up for grabs so that it can be picked up and developed by others and they have been asking for input from the community on how the desktop images are developed. I consider all these things a step forward.

Beans

As I said, the best thing about Unity is that it's just out of my way and let's me do my work, mostly with no need to leave the keyboard and no cluttering of extra menus and titlebars like in Gnome. If they can do that in Ubuntu's Gnome, i.e. if they can bring the global menu, the hud and the advanced keyboard shortcut functionality to it, then it's perfect. I don't care if it's Unity or Gnome, I am not a religious DE zealot. But this way it's like leaping from a horse saddle onto a bare donkey's back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Canonical is a very small company. Tying themselves and their resources to DE development kept them from forging forward into a much larger expanding Linux universe.

Anyone who wants to can continue working on Unity and Mir.

Canonical has more important things to do.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

The Unity session will be in the repositories as long as it works or the community takes over maintenance to keep it around. Adapting it to each new version of gnome will be the main challenge.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast