Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dropping Unity was the most stupid thing to do...IMHO

Beans

Re: Dropping Unity was the most stupid thing to do...IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I'll miss Unity personally. I won't use it though as I'm guessing it will die a slow painful death. I don't like to hang onto the past if I can help it. They've moved to Gnome and it is what it is.
    It will die if everyone thinks like you and 'move on'. Open source projects don't die as long as there is a community to maintain and carry on the development. Just look at Mate. Unity session is easily installable in 18.04 and hopefully a unity flavor will gain official status at some point. It is not dead unless you let it die.
    https://community.ubuntu.com/c/desktop/ubuntu-unity-dev

Beans

i think gnome was a good choice, it makes ubuntu much more tweak-able, plus for them it's less work all they really have to worry about is 1 extension.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    i think gnome was a good choice, it makes ubuntu much more tweak-able, plus for them it's less work all they really have to worry about is 1 extension.
    Gnome tweakable?? It needs tweaking because you need a bunch of third party hacks for every basic function since the default is unusable (at least for a lot of people, hence the extensions) These extensions tend to break for each new gnome release, there are tons of unmaintained gnome extensions around. That is not what one usually means by "tweakable".
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 19th, 2018 at 07:41 AM.

Beans

i can live with default gnome as well, to me it's all usable. it's linux, don't like it, change it. the extensions are nice, don't get me wrong, but i move more towards less, i prefer not to install stuff just for look sake, i just want the app's i use to work.

i was just about to install pop!_os, i'm cuurently on solus budgie, but i'm not really digging budgie de. i like that pop!_os has decided to keep things simple, like a minimal ubuntu.
    the main thing i like to use the most is the win key shortcut & that makes the hidden dock a nice feature & still much easier to bounce from app to app or check on the progress of something i'm doing in another app.

laters time to reboot.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej View Post
    As I said, the best thing about Unity is that it's just out of my way and let's me do my work, mostly with no need to leave the keyboard and no cluttering of extra menus and titlebars like in Gnome. If they can do that in Ubuntu's Gnome, i.e. if they can bring the global menu, the hud and the advanced keyboard shortcut functionality to it, then it's perfect. I don't care if it's Unity or Gnome, I am not a religious DE zealot. But this way it's like leaping from a horse saddle onto a bare donkey's back.
    Sounds to me like you want i3.

On Unix systems, the GUI is just another program. Pick any one you like. Or you can write your own. People do. Writing a Window Manager isn't actually that complicated. The "Suckless" team did it in about 1200 lines. https://suckless.org/ - they make other minimal tools as well. I'm completely addicted to their C* Music Player, cmus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I liked Unity until the launcher and the menu bar disappeared and I could not find a way to get them back. After trying a number of fixes recommended here, I finally established another user account and used my backup of /home to get running again.

It appears that a lot of other people have had the same problem with Unity.

Richard

Beans

Oddly enough, Unity was what drove me away from Ubuntu initially, and I didn't give it a second thought until the recent return to Gnome. On my hardware at the time, it never worked right. Different strokes I guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12