Thread: Looking for resources for distro development project

Beans

Looking for resources for distro development project

In the fall I will be taking a senior project class so I can complete my Computer Information Systems degree. For the senior project I would like to propose a full fledged Linux distro (nothing fancy), complete with website, support forums, and custom repos, but I'm not sure where to start (I'm on the fence about making it Debian or Arch based). If it gets accepted I will be assigned a team to help me work on it. I was going to take the free time I have during the summer to really bone up on the material before making my proposal to the professors in the fall.

I've already learned how to set up my own base images based on several different flavours of Linux that could serve as the live-iso, but I find myself lacking in when it comes to creating the installation application; I would really like to include an encryption feature as well.

Any websites, tutorials, or other resources you may be able to share would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Looking for resources for distro development project

Have you seen Tori OS?

It looks like a stalled project but maybe Amjjawad can give you some advice.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Have you seen Tori OS?

It looks like a stalled project but maybe Amjjawad can give you some advice.
    No. I'll look into it. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You're welcome.

Maybe you could make a dedicated 32 bit distro? It's not like the Buntu family has abandoned 32 bit hardware contrary to popular belief but it might happen some day in the future.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.