Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reading the contents of a DVD -R etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Reading the contents of a DVD -R etc.

Hello,

I have downloaded the iso file of kubuntu 16.04.4 and used k3b to burn the image to a DVD -R.

I simulated the burning before the actual burning. Does the simulation use the hard drive since the DVD was empty at this stage. IF the hard drive is used is there some 'cleaning up' that I need to do?

Before I test the OS, is there a method to read the contents of the DVD?

At present, I am using kubuntu ver 14.04.

A couple of other points:

I downloaded the 32 bit iso files because I only have 4 GB of RAM and my system is old.

I was wondering what is the difference between the 32 bit and 64 bit OS's?

Thanks
    Dell Dimension E 520 Viiv
    Pentium D 2.8 GHz. Presler Dual Core 2.8GHz, 800MHz FSB 2x2MB cache
    RAM 4 GB. Dual Channel (4x1024GB) 667MHz DDR2
    Browser: Firefox

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Reading the contents of a DVD -R etc.

I'm not familiar with using k3b, but would expect that it would clean up after itself, deleting temporary files, when you close it. If you are doing a "simulated" burn, nothing should get written to the DVD-R - to view what would have been written to the DVD-R, chances are you would have to locate where any temporary files are written, and take a look there.

As for the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit, there is a thread about it here. It's a few years old, but many of the observations made will still hold true.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

I simulated the burn, then burned the DVD. I was wondering how I could read the files that have been written to the DVD?

Beans

Put the DVD you burned in the drive. If you are using a newer version of KDE, you should have a device notifier in the taskbar area with a pop-up message with several options including open in File Manager. Click that to open and see the files. If this doesn't happen, create a mount point and mount the DVD.

sudo mkdir /media/user/cdrom
    sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/user/cdrom
    Replace 'user' with your actual user name. You should be able to then navigate to the directories/files on the DVD.
    Not sure why you want to do this, the directories/files on the DVD will be very different from an installed system.

Beans

It seems that you are making life unnecessarily complicated. First of all if you have a usb drive, just make a liveusb, I am sure there is something in kubuntu 14.04 similar to the startup disk creator in Ubuntu (or maybe it is in Kubuntu) Who still burns dvd in 2018?

Secondly if you want to see what is in the iso, just mount it with
    Code:
    sudo mount -o loop  /path/to/iso /mnt
    Thirdly 4Gs of ram are plenty.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 14th, 2018 at 02:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    It seems that you are making life unnecessarily complicated. First of all if you have a usb drive, just make a liveusb, I am sure there is something in kubuntu 14.04 similar to the startup disk creator in Ubuntu (or maybe it is in Kubuntu) Who still burns dvd in 2018?

Secondly if you want to see what is in the iso, just mount it with
    Code:
    sudo mount -o loop  /path/to/iso /mnt
    Thirdly 4Gs of ram are plenty.

If I followed your advice I would be making life unnecessarily complicated. I have made a live DVD
    Who burns DVD's. Well I do for a start

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Put the DVD you burned in the drive. If you are using a newer version of KDE, you should have a device notifier in the taskbar area with a pop-up message with several options including open in File Manager. Click that to open and see the files. If this doesn't happen, create a mount point and mount the DVD.

Replace 'user' with your actual user name. You should be able to then navigate to the directories/files on the DVD.
    Not sure why you want to do this, the directories/files on the DVD will be very different from an installed system.
    That worked. I put the DVD in the drive and File Manager appeared as an option.

I was just curious to see what was on the disk. It helps me learn.

I noticed the md5 file and expected to see the md5 for the iso file burned. But, I was surprised to see lots of md5's

I will now test the live DVD and see how it performs on my older machine. I expect it to be slower than I am used to because it is a live DVD, but I want to ensure that otherwise it works well before considering an install to replace 14.05

Regards
    Last edited by anon_private; March 14th, 2018 at 01:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

the md5 file has all available images. you select the line (hash) from your image and then compare it to the downloaded image. to see if the burn was done succesfully you can test the disk after booting it. it's one of the options in the menu. another way would be to create an ISO image from the newly created DVD drive and then compare it to the md5 hash.

if your CPU is 64 bit then use the 64bit version. although both versions will work in that case, the 32 bit is slowly losing support with applications as well as available OS for 32bit. manufacturing of 32 bit processors for PC mostly ended at the start of this milenium, Except for some Atom CPUs which were made later on in 2010 or so. with 4 GB RAM at disposal you should even start to feel the difference in speed in some cases.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    the md5 file has all available images. you select the line (hash) from your image and then compare it to the downloaded image. to see if the burn was done succesfully you can test the disk after booting it. it's one of the options in the menu. another way would be to create an ISO image from the newly created DVD drive and then compare it to the md5 hash.

if your CPU is 64 bit then use the 64bit version. although both versions will work in that case, the 32 bit is slowly losing support with applications as well as available OS for 32bit. manufacturing of 32 bit processors for PC mostly ended at the start of this milenium, Except for some Atom CPUs which were made later on in 2010 or so. with 4 GB RAM at disposal you should even start to feel the difference in speed in some cases.
    I am not sure if my CPU supports 64 bit.

What I do know is that when I bought my pc it had Windows Vista 32 bit installed, and later I installed kubuntu 32 bit. I have kept to the 32 bit tradition because it works.

I will look up the method of testing the DVD disk.

I assume that support for both 32 and 64 bit are as stated on the download site and will be the same for both versions

Regards

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post

I have looked up what I think are the characteristics of my CPU

Physical Address Extensions: 32 bit
    Instruction Set: 64 bit

It looks like my processor is designed for a 32 bit system, but has some 64 bit capability.

The burned DVD supports 32 bit

Regards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast