Thread: pc gaming in general ? old gamer

Beans

pc gaming in general ? old gamer

i know when i had a tandy 386sx the games were pretty good
    then i upgraded to a amd athlon and windows 95 and some of the games from my tandy did not work
    then i upgraded to a amd athlon 2 and windows 98se/xp pro/vista and most of my games from my tandy did not work and some of the games from my athlon did not work
    then i upgraded to an i3 4130 and windows 8.1 and most of everything did not work software side of things that is.. from my previous processors and versions of windows

So My Questions is
    are my games from steam ,origin , blizzard going to work with a coffeelake processor moving forward from a crippled build of a i3 4130

Beans

Re: pc gaming in general ? old gamer

As a guy who went through the same generation of hardware, I feel your pain.

I haven't tried any of this, but the way I understand it there are emulators for pretty much every computer we used to use. Including arcades, old tandy, PDP-11, etc. And most of them will run on a raspberry pi.

But you need to have your old software for the computer-based games, and you need ROMs for arcade and atari-style games.
    Last edited by 1clue; March 14th, 2018 at 03:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

You might be surprised to see how many might indeed run. I had an original Acer C7 Chromebook, with a dual-core Celeron, on which I had installed Chrubuntu, and I had several Steam games on it, including some action games (the Half-Life series, etc.) and if it will run those, your rig might well, too. Origin games are 100% Windows, and you might be able to run some Blizzard games. Every game on Steam for Linux that you also bought for Windows, can, of course, be installed on a Linux rig.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Old DOS games work in DOS box (most of them - check out the GOG website), some even had special emulators made for them.

Windows games should work on Win8.1 and Win10 just fine. again most of them. you just need to set them to run in WinXP/Win98 mode. moving to linux, many work in Wine (especially those that use Dx9 or lower or openGL).

so, most old games work on modern PCs just fine. but they might need a bit of effort to get them working.

Steam and modern distribution platforms are another issue. there, you basically borrow the game. they are not yours. so if you have to do some "tweaking" later on you might just end up with all games taken from you.

i am not sure if they guarantee that the games will work on future systems. they probably do not. but with win10 there are bigger issues coming. their forced upgrades are known to brick PCs. Drivers can become an issue. it iwll be interesting to see how things play out in next 5 years or so. what happens when certain hardware get's force upgrade and suddenly looses driver support
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

yeah i`ve fallen for Ubuntu bad
    i wish i was more of a code person wine and such
    i know Codeweavers and play on linux
    use the great program Dosbox also
    got a version of Origin to run on Ubuntu 17.10
    and Virtual box and Vmware and the linux port of virtual software
    but like i said and you guys thank`s replied it the games i play like {titan quest } {age of empires} dont take a lot of cpu and memory
    and every time i try and stay up with newer stuff {Computer}, i just take 2 steps backward for most commercial games that i already own
    and no question in of itself is bad ///pc gaming in general ?////
    but i need to talk to people that know stuff about it to get my head straight
    thanks again guys {Solved}

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

if you are into age of empires and have a relatively new machine you could try 0 A.D. (still developed): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0_A.D._(video_game)

basically older games are played through emulators.

occasionally i would also load a spectrum 48k tape. bu tsometimes i wish i had the money (and space) for a brand new PC. i would like to try a few newer games.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla