Thread: Deploying Ubuntu Server

Beans

Deploying Ubuntu Server

As a learning project, I want to deploy an enterprise-grade Ubuntu setup for three computers. One will ideally run Ubuntu Server and handle logons (I assume LDAP), DNS, DHCP, email server, LAMP server, etc. I want the other two computers to run Ubuntu Desktop and login using credentials received from the server, similar to how Windows Server 2016 works. I assume I need to install an LDAP software distribution to achieve this. My question is how would I go about deploying LDAP to work properly and connect all the computers through Ubuntu Server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Deploying Ubuntu Server

Moved to Server Platforms.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavours

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

So one Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS server, and two Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 LTS workstations that will connect to and authenticate against the server?

Will there be any Windows machines that need to authenticate as well?

Just asking for clarification...not that I'm knowledgeable about it. I have my own project to setup Samba DC for Windows clients.

LHammonds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've done Unix/Linux LDAP authentication. Actually, that part is pretty easy thanks to PAM and LDAP on the clients, provided you don't need to support Windows. LDAP can be used for many webapp logins too.

Please reconsider your system architecture from a security standpoint.
    Systems that must face the internet shouldn't run internal authentication or internal LAN services.
    I would keep email separate and internet web servers separate. The attack vectors are different, but once they are compromised, losing both sets of systems would be bad. You can use virtualization to separate these different services. I've considered using LXD for my new services and migrations for older systems that need to be moved to newer base-OSes.

Of course, you CAN run everything on a single OS install, but why?

LDAP isn't anything special. It is just a package. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LD...Authentication should explain. Getting logins working is pretty bonehead with LDAP-pam. Honestly, the worst part is managing accounts using LDIF files - there aren't any safe GUIs for LDAP account management that I know. I cheat and use Zimbra for that on our network. That method has flaws, but the GUI for admins and end users to manage their LDAP information is consistent, central, and works.

Beans

Appreciate the excellent replies. It will only be Linux workstations and it will be in a demilitarized zone completely separated from the internet, so i'm not as concerned with security as of yet.