Thread: Harddrive timeouts after power failure

Beans

Unhappy Harddrive timeouts after power failure

Would u replace the hard drive in this situation?

- We had a power failure
    - my dual-boot machine booted into Windows
    - so I did a few reboots to install Win updates. No problems (well, the usual incredible slowness of Win10).
    - then Ubuntu wouldnt boot - "Welcome to Emergency mode ....."
    - retried many times
    - couldn't get in recovery mode either
    - booted a LiveCD
    - mounted the real / partition and the real /home partition , and edited files there
    - messed around with the network timeout and checked out the fstab
    - rebooted LiveCD
    - did fsck from the command line for the partition that mounts as / . No errors
    - did fsck from the command line on the partition that mounts as /home . No errors
    - retried , same problem
    - retried, problem went away!
    - did a journalctl -xb and the problem showed up as:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar 13 16:18:20 rich-OptiPlex-755 kernel: floppy0: no floppy controllers found
    Mar 13 16:18:22 rich-OptiPlex-755 systemd[1]: dev-disk-by\x2duuid-d381bb29\x2d4376\x2d4c46\x2dab65\x2dbf922f3be7a9.d evice: Job dev-di
    Mar 13 16:18:22 rich-OptiPlex-755 systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-d381bb29\x2d4376\x2d4c46\x2dab65\x2dbf
    -- Subject: Unit dev-disk-by\x2duuid-d381bb29\x2d4376\x2d4c46\x2dab65\x2dbf922f3be7a9.d evice has failed
    -- Defined-By: systemd
    -- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman.../systemd-devel
    --
    -- Unit dev-disk-by\x2duuid-d381bb29\x2d4376\x2d4c46\x2dab65\x2dbf922f3be7a9.d evice has failed.
    --
    -- The result is timeout.
    Mar 13 16:18:22 rich-OptiPlex-755 systemd[1]: Dependency failed for File System Check on /dev/disk/by-uuid/d381bb29-4376-4c46-ab65-bf
    -- Subject: Unit systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-d38...be7a9.s ervice has failed
    -- Defined-By: systemd
    -- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman.../systemd-devel
    --
    -- Unit systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-d38...be7a9.s ervice has failed.
    --
    -- The result is dependency.
    Mar 13 16:18:22 rich-OptiPlex-755 systemd[1]: Dependency failed for /home.
    -- Subject: Unit home.mount has failed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it was timing out, trying to mount /home . Then, it didn't time out and it worked fine.

Do I need a new hard drive? Anything else I should suspect?

Beans

Re: Harddrive timeouts after power failure

There were two other odd symptoms : my USB ports no longer could charge my iPhone, and, booting with the "upstart" option (in the GRUB advanced-options submenu) worked successfully, while the default Ubuntu boot (with init) did not.

The unexpected solution to both: I vacuumed the dust out of the PC's case! There definitely was a dustball touching pins in an unused MB plug.