Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Building Woes

Beans

Computer Building Woes

I am in the process of building a Ryzen computer. I started off with a problem. The standoffs (included with the case) would not thread into the case. I will be returning the case. This is my question. Is there any danger in testing the components outside of the case while I am waiting for a new case?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Computer Building Woes

There is a danger. The biggest danger is of static electricity. The electronics will not tolerate being "zapped" by static electricity.

Realize that the static electricity doesn't just have the possibility of coming from you: it can be generated by ANYTHING moving suck as a cooling fan running, parts being shifted on whatever surface you have them on, etc. If it were my expensive parts lying there, I would not want to take the chance.

Beans

Thanks for the advice. It is now raining, do you think that would mitigate the chances of static electricity?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Mitigate them? Sure. Eliminate them? No.

Beans

I just installed the processor and the cooler. So far no static electricity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

So long as you wear a grounded wristband and place your components on anti-static non-conducting materials (I usually set the mobo on top of the box it came in on the non-conducting foam it is packaged with), you can open air test the assembly prior to putting it in the case. I actually recommend this to check for proper operation and compatibility.

All of the components are grounded through the power supply anyway. Motherboard standoffs are more for keeping the backs of the soldered pins from contacting the conductive motherboard tray than grounding the mobo.

People build wooden, polycarbonate and plexy cases all the time with no grounding issues at all.

The big thing when handling your components is the anti-static wristband.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I had a few challenges so far. My old eyes had difficulty discerning the arrow on the AM4 socket. The manual show two memory clips open. Only one will open. I called the motherboard manufacturer. He said that the manual was wrong. Only one clip opens.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    So long as you wear a grounded wristband and place your components on anti-static non-conducting materials (I usually set the mobo on top of the box it came in on the non-conducting foam it is packaged with), you can open air test the assembly prior to putting it in the case. I actually recommend this to check for proper operation and compatibility.

All of the components are grounded through the power supply anyway. Motherboard standoffs are more for keeping the backs of the soldered pins from contacting the conductive motherboard tray than grounding the mobo.

People build wooden, polycarbonate and plexy cases all the time with no grounding issues at all.

The big thing when handling your components is the anti-static wristband.
    +100
    And no liquids anywhere around!!!
    I Built a high end gaming rig for friend on a Hot Hot day, had a glass of iced water close by and reached to grab for a drink, well kersplash the water ended up on the moboard. (Costly to me)
    I was not on on his Christmas card list that year.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    +100
    And no liquids anywhere around!!!
    I Built a high end gaming rig for friend on a Hot Hot day, had a glass of iced water close by and reached to grab for a drink, well kersplash the water ended up on the moboard. (Costly to me)
    I was not on on his Christmas card list that year.
    I can feel your pain.

Beans

Another oversight. I just installed the memory in slots 2 and 4. Because of the way I oriented the cooler, I wont be able to fit memory in slot 1. Since I don't plan on adding more memory, I will leave it in place for the time being.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast