-Computer-
    Processor : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz
    Memory : 1011MB (776MB used)
    Machine Type : Notebook
    Operating System : Ubuntu 17.10 alternative LXQT minimal amd64
    OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) Pineview M x86/MMX/SSE2
    X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
    Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

I can't remember all versions of Ubuntu(debian) Chrome and firefox that I've tried but I've been unable to get AMD64 Ubuntu to run Netflix

I currently have Lubuntu-alternative-17.10-i386 LXQT minimal installed with Firefox 58 on an lvm lv which does work but I would prefer a amd64 version (just seems wrong to run 32 bit operating system on a 64 bit processor) I have worked with 16.04 to 17.10 and version of firefox from 52 ESR to firefox 58.

When Running the above configuration with Firefox 58 Firefox freezes and the only way to return to a working system is to kill Firefox.
    If I remember correctly Firefox 57 or 58 on debian unstable plays choppy..

Trying to install nss3:i386 and firefox:i386 onto results in an error from netflix asking if my version of firefox is an official build.

I'm at a loss, any suggestions would be helpful.

Beans

Re: Lubuntu 17.10, Firefox 58, 64-bit unable to watch netflix

Seems that your ram is a bit low.

Beans

+1
    you should max out that netbook ram, i think its 2gb

you might want to try elementary os as well, it's bare bones. it ran really well on the netbook i had.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

On a desktop I've seen Firefox ask to enable DRM content, once that happened, Netflix would play.

Processor : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz
    Memory : 1011MB (776MB used)
    Machine Type : Notebook
    With the Atom N450 and low RAM installed, negotiating most modern websites I'm sure is difficult, is why I finally retired my Asus 1001px| Debian 9 | XFCE , even-though it's maxed out at 2gb RAM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hrsetrdr View Post
    On a desktop I've seen Firefox ask to enable DRM content, once that happened, Netflix would play.

With the Atom N450 and low RAM installed, negotiating most modern websites I'm sure is difficult, is why I finally retired my Asus 1001px| Debian 9 | XFCE , even-though it's maxed out at 2gb RAM.
    i loved that hp mini i had, i used it till it completely fell apart, broken hinges, chips & cracks. lol

Beans

I'm actually fairly happy with the laptop over all using qupzilla arora palemoon etc as a browser it works really well for light weight look stuff up on the internet type type of things i just miss being able to watch my netflix on my 64 bit os..
    It's not the end of the world if I just have to convert go 32 bit, or ultimately go tiny-core to keep this thing alive for browsing web/documents.
    I'm just hoping that I can avoid resorting to drastic measures yet.
    I'll check in my bios and system docs, I could have sworn at some point I had maxed out ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    i loved that hp mini i had, i used it till it completely fell apart, broken hinges, chips & cracks. lol
    My Asus is in good shape, basically, the 4 year old 9cell 7200mah battery is still providing 4-6+ hr.s per charge.

But, it seems most modern commercial websites have such a load of code going on, that an Atom with low RAM( < 4gb) just freezes.

I've tried the lighter DEs(xfce,lxde) but really made no difference. I used Android-x86 for a bit, it would freeze up as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyenvy2 View Post
    I'm actually fairly happy with the laptop over all using qupzilla arora palemoon etc as a browser it works really well for light weight look stuff up on the internet type type of things i just miss being able to watch my netflix on my 64 bit os..
    It's not the end of the world if I just have to convert go 32 bit, or ultimately go tiny-core to keep this thing alive for browsing web/documents.
    I'm just hoping that I can avoid resorting to drastic measures yet.
    I'll check in my bios and system docs, I could have sworn at some point I had maxed out ram
    Netflix runs on 64 bit Firefox, just need to allow DRM content. Firefox will take care of that, with your permission.

See this screeny of my Firefox on Netflix: https://i.imgur.com/ClcVFBT.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unfortunately, it's just a pipe dream. You will never manage to make that system, with an Atom 1.6Hz CPU and GMA3150 as graphics card, to play Netflix content properly, there's no way. Maybe you'll get something like 10fps; video will be choppy, that's a definite.

Beans

as long as you can watch youtube, you can find all those netflix movies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast