Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Require VPN connection on startup

Beans

Require VPN connection on startup

So I have Ubuntu 16.04 installed on a machine that is on a local area network but i want that machine alone to always connect it to a VPN on startup and if that connection with the VPN is interrupted then the connection to the internet in general is disconnected as if the cable as been pulled out. How can I set this up properly?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Require VPN connection on startup

Easy Peesey, Have a look here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/328823/vpn-autoconnect

This is assuming you have set your VPN up prior to setting this. (Plain english your VPN must be working before hand)
    If you read everything carefully on the link you will get it sorted out it's pretty straight forward.
    BTW Welcome to the Forum.
    Last edited by 1fallen; March 6th, 2018 at 09:37 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    What about entering the VPN server login credentials?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This is assuming you have set your VPN up prior to setting this. (Plain english your VPN must be working before hand)
    If you read everything carefully on the link you will get it sorted out it's pretty straight forward.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

It isn't my VPN, it is FrootVPN but nonetheless, I am not sure where to input the credentials

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tantalizingbanana View Post
    It isn't my VPN, it is FrootVPN but nonetheless, I am not sure where to input the credentials
    Your VPN currently works now right? (As in before adding it to automatically adding it)
    No matter what VPN it just has to be pre-setup mine is PIA. and use that drop down box to add it and DONE! (Or the Server location you wish to use)
    Screenshot included
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1fallen; March 7th, 2018 at 01:49 AM.
    Dalai Lama>>

Beans

Your VPN currently works now right? (As in before adding it to automatically adding it)
    No matter what VPN it just has to be pre-setup mine is PIA. and use that drop down box to add it and DONE! (Or the Server location you wish to use)
    Screenshot included
    It gets interrupted from time to time randomly. Which is the concern here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It gets interrupted from time to time randomly. Which is the concern here.
    In that case, I would most certainly open a support ticket with your VPN provider.
    After all they claim:
    99.99% Uptime Guarantee
    FrootVPN offers only the best industry standard for our server uptime. Experience no run-down or interruption in our servers, therefore you can be assured of continuous access on all of our services, 24/7 reliable customer support, among others.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by 1fallen; March 8th, 2018 at 05:50 PM.
    Dalai Lama>>

Beans

In that case, I would most certainly open a support ticket with your VPN provider.
    After all they claim:

Good Luck
    The question here is really my connection disconnecting and reconnecting, how can I have it that should this occur that the VPN connection is reconnect automatically?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The question here is really my connection disconnecting and reconnecting, how can I have it that should this occur that the VPN connection is reconnect automatically?
    Again this question should be asked of your VPN Provider this is not a fault of Ubuntu or OpenVpn but rather in their ("FrootVPN") coding ".configs"
    Mine PIA dose just that. Or if there is a problem down the pipe it just disconnects period.> I have no experience with "FrootVPN" or how they do things. "Connect on start-up was the original support question"
    Now morphing into trouble shooting "FrootVPN"
    Sorry but that's best advice I can offer you here.
    Please direct your very Valid Question to them for the best results.
    And Again Good Luck!
    Last edited by 1fallen; March 13th, 2018 at 10:58 PM.
    Dalai Lama>>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast