Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Virtualbox and Genymotion after updating my Ubuntu last night.

Beans

Question Problem with Virtualbox and Genymotion after updating my Ubuntu last night.

Hello.
    im on ubuntu 14.04 and installed the updates last night and slept. now when i start Genymotion i get the error that virtualbox is not installed. I used to get this error before but i always solved it with ..
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    But this time things go different when i do that and i get the error...
    Code:
    vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why
    . i did search on google. i found 2 posts last one is this one... https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2350741. But its closed and i cant reply to the thread. i have yet to try the suggestion it has in the post. Im afraid i lose my VM's if i do that?
    Can someone please help me? I really need to fix this. My life depends on it. Thank you so much everyone for reading.
    ------EDIT : i was able to temporary fix the issue by choosing "advanced options for ubuntu in boot menu upon laptop reboot and choosing one version older.. this one " Ubuntu, with linux 4.4.0-112-generic " The latest was 116 after i updated.. But on 116 i wont be able to run Virtual box anymore. im not very tech savey. thank you so much
    Last edited by CCgirl6690; March 5th, 2018 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Retried

Beans

Re: Problem with Virtualbox and Genymotion after updating my Ubuntu last night.

If it were me, I would upgrade to vBox 5.2, but my life wouldn't depend on it since I have backup.

Beans

Thanks for the reply but i can't update it. it gives error in software center.. also how can i make backups?
    Thanx.
    Btw its sad to see this forum is dead. i remember back in years here was full of activity, but now after 24 hours. only 1 person came here. it's like dying in a dark valley yelling for help and only a wolf passing by.
    Last edited by CCgirl6690; March 6th, 2018 at 06:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hello CCgirl6690,
    now after 24 hours. only 1 person came here. it's like dying in a dark valley yelling for help and only a wolf passing by.
    Actually 8 people have looked at this thread including myself, the view count is broken so you can not go by what it shows.

Glad you are here and I hope your issue gets resolved!

Beans

it's most likely that not many people are left on 14.04, they've moved on to more updated versions.
    i'm old i'm not going to remember that far back to be able to help.

i use gnome boxes for vm now a days, it's a much simpler system.

Beans

Thanks Kerry, i would want to update to a newer ubuntu but im afraid i lose my files and VM's and otherthings. it's too risky for me

Beans

You can make a snapshot of the VM (Machine > Clone: the sheep icon) and save it somewhere, then go ahead to update your OS (I advise against 'upgrade', backup your stuffs and do a clean install is a lot faster and safer) Afterwards install VBox and just restore your backup snapshot. I have done it many times.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; March 6th, 2018 at 07:46 AM.

Beans

if it's important always backup, have a copy somewhere else.
    i use a simple sdcard for backup. i have a couple of them. i keep 1 just sitting in my laptop sd slot for quick saves.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This kernel has a bug that caused your issue here is a possible solution.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1008...kernel-upgrade

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    This kernel has a bug that caused your issue here is a possible solution.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1008...kernel-upgrade
    thank you so much. it suggest i need to reinstall VB as well. it's way to risky for me. maybe i should wait for next karnel update?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast