Thread: Partitions stopped mounting automatically

Beans

Partitions stopped mounting automatically

I am using Ubuntu 16.04. I did something with it and now, when I reboot, the partitions are not mounted automatically. Only / , /boot/efi/ and swap are mounted and only they are contained in the fstab file. The other five are not. When I open nautilus I see all partitions and can mount them by clicking on their icons. The strange thing is that gnome-disks shows that all partitions should be mounted at startup. Why are they not then? Or are they mounted first and then, for some reason, are immediately unmounted? The only suspicious thing which I found in dmesg reads

EXT4-fs (sda3): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro

I don't want just to edit the fstab file. I want to understand the reason why this is happening. I am new to Ubuntu.

EDIT:

I suspect that the issue was caused by ddrescue. Here is the logfile:

Code:
    # Rescue Logfile. Created by GNU ddrescue version 1.19
    # Command line: ddrescue -f -r3 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdb4 logfile
    # Start time:   2018-03-04 01:39:04
    # Current time: 2018-03-04 01:41:40
    # Finished
    # current_pos  current_status
    0x102FBE00     +
    #      pos        size  status
    0x00000000  0x102BC000  +
    0x102BC000  0x00040000  -
    0x102FC000  0x2D100000  +
    /dev/sdc1 was the corrupt flash drive files from which I wanted to recover. I think that after I ran ddrescue my drives became unmounted and stopped mounting at startup. Could this happen?
    Last edited by tart1988; March 5th, 2018 at 01:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Partitions stopped mounting automatically

In Disks (gnome-disks) is Automatic Mount Options at the top toggle to On or Off?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Automatic Mount Options are On for exactly those partitions which do not mount. They are Off for the partitions which do mount.

Beans

Why not just post the output of the following commands so the folks here can help you:
    Code:
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab

Beans

sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list
    returns

Code:
    device     fs_type label    mount point    UUID
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    /dev/loop0 squashfs         /snap/core/4017 
    /dev/loop1 squashfs         /snap/core/3887 
    /dev/loop2 squashfs         /snap/core/4110 
    /dev/sda1  vfat    ESP      /boot/efi      0AEC-8283
    /dev/sda2  vfat    OS       (not mounted)  6810-7989
    /dev/sda3  ext4    UBUNTU   /              64ef968d-8488-49b1-8dde-a0829168b76f
    /dev/sda4  swap             [SWAP]         181a3feb-93f6-4e98-8583-52a683f658bc
    /dev/sdb1  ntfs    C        (not mounted)  16D1E84B6E1AEFF3
    /dev/sdb2  ntfs    D        (not mounted)  329D74C657FEB321
    /dev/sdb3  ntfs    F        (not mounted)  4E0068F541357DFD
    /dev/sdb4  vfat    G        (not mounted)  FB47-7552
    cat /etc/fstab
    returns

Code:
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda3 during installation
    UUID=64ef968d-8488-49b1-8dde-a0829168b76f /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=0AEC-8283  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda4 during installation
    UUID=181a3feb-93f6-4e98-8583-52a683f658bc none            swap    sw              0       0

Beans

In your very first post you present a paradox:
    I don't want just to edit the fstab file. I want to understand the reason why this is happening.
    The people here who can provide you with the assistance you need to mount your partitions at boot do not use Disks.

Beans

The people here who can provide you with the assistance you need to mount your partitions at boot do not use Disks.

That's OK.

Beans

If it were me I'm a firm believer in templates when it comes to fstab. Like the ones the Ubuntu installer uses when you select "Something Else".

An example of an NTFS template would be something like this - and I will base it on the data provided for your "D Drive":
    Code:
    UUID=329D74C657FEB321 /media/WinD ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,uid=1000,umask=0000,windows_names 0 0
    Notes:

[1] You will need to create the mount point yourself:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/WinD
    With a mount point under /media the mounted partition will show up on the side panel of your file manager and other places. If you don't want that to happen create the mount point under /mnt - as in /mnt/WinD.

[2] uid=1000 will make you the owner of the mounted partition.

To verify that is your uid number run this command:
    Code:
    id
    [3] umask=0000 will make the permissions of the mounted partition 777 - which it will do by default but I place it there if I want to change things later on.

For example: If I want to make it so only I have access to the partition then I would change the umask value to 0077.

[4] windows_names will prevent you from saving a file in Linux with a name that contains characters Windows cannot interpret.

None of the options I presented above are available in Disks by default. You can always force it to those options in Disks but then why use Disks in the first place.
    Last edited by Morbius1; March 5th, 2018 at 11:12 PM.

Beans

Thank you very much for explaining these parameters. I will take note of them. Your explanations are very informative and helpful.

However, I would really like to understand why that thing happened in the first place. Is the fstab file, which I copied above, not the default fstab file shipped with Ubuntu 16.04? If memory serves, when I just bought the laptop, I couldn't see my HDD (/dev/sda's are on SSD, /dev/sdb's are on HDD). Then I partitioned it using Disks or gparted and everything worked fine since then. I don't remember editing fstab file or even changing any parameters in Disks. Apart from ddrescue, I also ran foremost on that night, but I think the problem appeared after ddrescue.
    Code:
    ddrescue -f -r3 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdb4 logfile
    did repartition /dev/sdb4. Perhaps, it did more, but what?
    Last edited by tart1988; March 6th, 2018 at 01:05 AM.