Thread: gnome-characters snap package

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

gnome-characters snap package

On my Ubuntu installed from ISO: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64 (20180301)
    I fund 2 different apps for gnome-characters, one from snap and one from bionic/main, both installed automatically.
    The app from bionic/main has colored characters while the one from snap has black and white.
    Should I report the problem? How to report a bug for a snap package?
    Code:
    corrado@corrado-p6-bb-01mar:~$ snap find gnome-characters
    Name              Version  Developer  Notes  Summary
    gnome-characters  3.26.2   canonical  -      A character map application
    corrado@corrado-p6-bb-01mar:~$ 

corrado@corrado-p6-bb-01mar:~$ apt policy gnome-characters
    gnome-characters:
      Installed: 3.26.2-4
      Candidate: 3.26.2-4
      Version table:
     *** 3.26.2-4 500
            500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

corrado@corrado-p6-bb-01mar:~$ inxi -SCx
    System:    Host: corrado-p6-bb-01mar Kernel: 4.15.0-11-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
               Desktop: Gnome 3.26.2 (Gtk 3.22.28-1ubuntu3)
               Distro: Ubuntu Bionic Beaver (development branch)
    CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-7100 (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.9 cache: 3072 KB
               flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 15648
               clock speeds: max: 3900 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 800 MHz 4: 800 MHz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: gnome-characters snap package

Quote Originally Posted by corradoventu View Post
    On my Ubuntu installed from ISO: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64 (20180301)
    I fund 2 different apps for gnome-characters, one from snap and one from bionic/main, both installed automatically.
    The app from bionic/main has colored characters while the one from snap has black and white.
    In general you'd go snap info snapname, if there is contact info that's how you'd report issues.
    In this case Canonical produced the snap so .. I dunno
    In any event unless they're blind figure they already know there is no color, check out the snap in ubuntu-software, the screenshot is in black & white for the category in question.

Beans
    Distro

the screenshot in ubuntu-software is black & white for both apps (see the 2 top screenshot in my attachment)
    the 2 screenshot at bottom of my screenshot are the ones displayed starting the apps, the bottom left in color from the 'standard' app, the bottom right black & white from the snap app.
    if a snap app should be an 'evolution' of the standard one I'm expecting a better one, not a worse.

Beans

the screenshot in ubuntu-software is black & white for both apps (see the 2 top screenshot in my attachment)
    the 2 screenshot at bottom of my screenshot are the ones displayed starting the apps, the bottom left in color from the 'standard' app, the bottom right black & white from the snap app.
    if a snap app should be an 'evolution' of the standard one I'm expecting a better one, not a worse.
    Well of course the ubuntu-software screenshot would be in b&w, it's of punctuation.
    As far a "a better one", cheaper is rarely better..

Beans

This is probably as good a place as any for questions/issues, ect. when the contact info is useless..
    https://forum.snapcraft.io/c/snap
    Last edited by mc4man; March 4th, 2018 at 06:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, it's pretty easy to have duplicate apps for these apps where Ubuntu is switching to the snap by default. I think this will be handled for those who use the official upgrade tools once 18.04 is released. (If you're already using 18.04, you'll probably need to do manual cleanup or consider reinstalling later.)

Good catch. I reported this as LP: #1753146

Yes, please do report bugs for snaps. Here's a chart to help you know where to report bugs for Canonical-maintained snaps.

It looks like you just report the bug against the Ubuntu package name in Launchpad but add the 'snap' tag for most of these.

Alternatively, you can use the Snapcraft forum to report some issues. For instance, it looks like Snaps can't be used as GNOME Shell search providers yet. Since that will require more coordination, that issue was reported there.

Beans
    Distro

@jbicha: i don't reported the bug against the Ubuntu package name in Launchpad (which is?), but now just signed for your bug.
    thanks

Beans
    Distro

The black and white emoji issue has been fixed now. You can manually run
    Code:
    snap refresh
    to ensure you get the update. Otherwise, I believe it will happen automatically in a few hours.

Beans
    Distro

thanks a lot, i've already noted on the bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1753146