Thread: 17.10 Copy Progress Bar large files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

17.10 Copy Progress Bar large files

I am copying multi-gigabyte files, for example VirtualBox VDIs and distribution ISOs from my old laptop to its replacement. So I do a copy and paste from the source directory to a thumb drive. However there is no indication of the progress of the copy, which naturally takes considerable time for a typical 4GB file. Searching for help says that there is supposed to be a circle in the top bar which I can click on to see the progress, but I do not see a circle. On the target system, which is from System 76 and comes with its customized version of Ubuntu 17.10 called Pop 17.10, the circle (or rather a pie graph symbol) does appear, so the problem seems to be the Ubuntu customization of Nautilus for 17.10 that is at fault here.

Last edited by 7-webmaster; March 2nd, 2018 at 10:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: 17.10 Copy Progress Bar large files

Hello!

What release are you running on the souce machine?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

It's a known and to my knowledge unsolved bug and connected to Nautilus, correct.

Beans

Large files are best copied from the command line, using rsync. That is the best way to ensure that the files are copied error free.

Beans

With rsync, the --progress flag tells it to show progress. And I agree with HermanAB - for large copy jobs rsync seems both fastest and most reliable to me.

Beans

apart from the missing progress bar, i would suggest you to copy using a sftp connection from nautilus to the new pc, copying to usb flash drives is very slow, even slower if they are fat32 formatted.