Thread: triple boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

triple boot

Good morning fellow Ubunters
    I already have Windows7 + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installed on this PC. But what if I chose to install a third OS? another Linux distro, and which one would you suggest?

Beans

Re: triple boot

Moved here for a better fit.

Beans

Well, since you have Windows and something Debian based (ubuntu), how about something like CentOS or Fedora?

Beans

Well it is easy to multiboot many Linux, I used to do that when I had too much time on my hand. But Windows is the tricky part. If I really need Windows I would just put it in a VM (I have plenty of RAM)

Beans

The problem of putting windows in vmware is that you miss out on speed efficiency as well as miss out on the native 3D video card that is suited for heavy intensive gaming ability. But if you only want to use windows for applications and not gaming, I guess sure you can go that route. Personally I would have a PC for windows and another PC for Ubuntu and any other Linux distro suite. This is how I would do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Windows in KVM with a dedicated GPU (one for the host, one for the guest) to pass through using Spice is very close in performance to bare metal for gaming. There are any number of tests and reviews demonstrating how well it works.

Using something like Synergy improves the integration.

But don't use the VM for Steam, as it may be detected by their cheat detection and get you banned.
    Last edited by QIII; March 2nd, 2018 at 01:08 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.