Thread: Trying to install KUBUNTU 16.04 LTS on HP Pavilion 15

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Question Trying to install KUBUNTU 16.04 LTS on HP Pavilion 15

I downloaded the ISO for KUBUNTU 16.04 LTS, through Windows 10. This is a brand new system, model 15-cd075nr (touch screen), with 8Gb RAM and AMD A12 processor and AMD graphics. Once I downloaded it, sent to USB, I changed the UEFI Boot to use the USB as first boot, and enabled Virtualization. It boots into the USB card, but gives the error casper/vmlinuz.efi not found, then after hitting ENTER, boots fine into Windows 10.

Anything I am missing? I am planning on dual-boot, since I need Windows for possible hardware diagnostics.

Thanks
    TS
    Communication is the difference between a friend and an acquaintance

Beans

Re: Trying to install KUBUNTU 16.04 LTS on HP Pavilion 15

Quote Originally Posted by SimpsonTruckDriver View Post
    ... Once I downloaded it, sent to USB, ...
    What did you do here? Did you follow the procedure described in Create a bootable USB stick on Windows?

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I used RUFUS to create the USB disk, my apologies for not mentioning that part. It was created, I booted from it (UEFI, not Legacy, not sure if that makes a difference), and got that error message.

TS

Beans
    Distro

I even tried booting in Legacy (not UEFI) Mode, same error. Even tried with Virtualization disabled, still the same error. I see online that this is a "bug" reported to AskUbuntu, but it was in Ubuntu 12.04, so I don't know if those are outdated, or if Canonical simply left the bug in place 6 years later.

TS

Beans

I even tried booting in Legacy (not UEFI) Mode, same error. Even tried with Virtualization disabled, still the same error. I see online that this is a "bug" reported to AskUbuntu, but it was in Ubuntu 12.04, so I don't know if those are outdated, or if Canonical simply left the bug in place 6 years later.

TS
    Please provide the AsUbuntu link.

If you have another Linux machine, try installing the mkusb ppa and then use mkusb to make the iso.

Beans
    Distro

Actually, I looked and found out it was a bad USB install. I was able to get into the LIVEUSB. I will try it later tomorrow to see if I can get it installed. At least video, WiFi, and touchscreen works. Sound didn't work, possibly because the LIVEUSB doesn't have drivers. Not a big deal for now.

TS

Beans

Actually, I looked and found out it was a bad USB install. I was able to get into the LIVEUSB. I will try it later tomorrow to see if I can get it installed. At least video, WiFi, and touchscreen works. Sound didn't work, possibly because the LIVEUSB doesn't have drivers. Not a big deal for now.

TS
    Sound should work, even with a Live USB.

For which applications doesn't sound work?

Beans
    Distro

Just trying to play a generic audio file that came with the KUbuntu install. Windows10 Device Manager shows both AMD HD Audio Device and Realtek HD Audio, same with the playback section of Device Manager (sound works fine in Win10).

TS

Beans

If the machine has multiple audio outputs, you may not have selected the right one. Go to System Settings > Multimedia and look at how your audio devices are configured. Make sure you've chosen the correct input and output channels, and that the output stream isn't muted.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

I was able to get sound going, Wi-Fi and everything works right out of the box. Now to tweak it to the way I want it

TS