Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Installer now offers a minimal install

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Installer now offers a minimal install

Golf clap for Canonical listening to all of us who don't want the kitchen-sink experience. If it is a core part of the installer, even better. Being able to get a minimal desktop across the entire set of flavors is a VERY good thing.

I'm looking forward to getting a newer 18.04 alpha - appears I grabbed the 2/26 version and missed it by 1 day.

So ... loaded the 2/26 version into a VM with 3G of RAM. Gnome-shell was using all the RAM still. For shame.
    Need to find a zsync source to update the ISO. Really don't want to grab the entire 1.6G again.
    Last edited by TheFu; February 28th, 2018 at 03:48 PM.

Beans

Any idea what the minimal install package is called, I haven't been able to find it on line @packages.ubuntu.

Beans

I think you have to download the full 1.6 GB iso. The option for a minimal install is then available as in post #6.

Beans

I would think there's a meta-pack out there somewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is no metapackage for the minimal install currently. It's implemented at https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu...minimal-remove

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by corradoventu View Post
    i should find … ubuntu data collection https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/...ection-opt-out shouls i download and install last ISO for these new features?
    The data collection feature was proposed but not implemented yet.

The minimal option is present in today's daily ISOs for Ubuntu only (although other flavors may adopt the feature too).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    There is no metapackage for the minimal install currently. It's implemented at https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu...minimal-remove
    Thanks jbicha

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just installed with the minimal option (zsync worked nice, BTW). Checkbox on the top of the "add extras/install updates" screen.

Took 10 minutes and included the amazon stuff. Mouse is sluggish in the VM. 1vCPU, 3G RAM, KVM. The prior install didn't have mouse issues.
    Gnome-shell is using all 3G of RAM (virtual size), 300MB real.

Purged amazon link from the left-bar and the firefox h.264 plugin. Appears there is more to be removed looking in the software list, but there are probably some dependencies that I haven't discovered at this point. Nice job, though removing the Amazon link in the favorites would gain some good will, even if it is just 50 bytes.

Love that the terminal has this:
    Code:
    To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
    See "man sudo_root" for details.

Beans

@TheFu, also see https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....5#post13744155 for a Xubuntu version.

Beans

TheFu
    Golf clap for Canonical listening to all of us who don't want the kitchen-sink experience.
    Yes, a very positive step. Installing Ubuntu without the recommended packages is of course doable, but you end up installing a lot of those left out recommends. A minimal install offered in the iso is a much better choice for most users. I dare say even me
    Gnome-shell is using all 3G of RAM (virtual size)
    Wonder why yours is so high. Currently running on a full install of Ubuntu and using about half of what your using.

2vCPU, 3G ram, vBox

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast