Thread: Lenovo L570 Ubuntu mini 16.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lenovo L570 Ubuntu mini 16.04

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    yeap, should work.
    Great, did that and tried the install but still it does not recognize the NIC in legacy mode only.

I was here thinking to myself that maybe the problem could be that i dont have a DHCP server on my network,
    and it was trying to get a DHCP address failed and gave this error. But after installing a quick DHCP server i still get the error.

Something i noticed, when i tried to install the Ubuntu desktop in UEFI mode (just to see if i could) the installation said that their was no network connection
    over the ethernet cable which was plugged in, but after install it all worked fine.

Is it possible that the installation process load the correct drivers but for some reason cant "jump start" the NIC to establish a network connection?
    When i look under /sys/class/net i only see the lo interface, in the terminal under the installation process, can this be the issue?

Brainstorming here.
    Last edited by Drenriza; February 27th, 2018 at 03:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    That is correct, you must use the server iso. It will give you the same results/install as the mini iso, but will handle uefi systems. At the start of the server install press F4 and choose minimal install. That will give you a mini iso install and you will find it faster to load than the mini. All the packages are on the DVD. I prefer this over the mini just for that

PS
    When you get to the screen to choose what packages to install choose "manual install".
    Ye i saw this guide on the UEFI mini server install. I dont quite know what makes it a server install but i choose to skip this cause of the cumbersome guide
    that goes along with it.

Beans

Legacy mode works for me, kerry_s has you covered. I'm on the side, good luck

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Drenriza View Post
    Great, did that and tried the install but still it does not recognize the NIC in legacy mode only.

I was here thinking to myself that maybe the problem could be that i dont have a DHCP server on my network,
    and it was trying to get a DHCP address failed and gave this error. But after installing a quick DHCP server i still get the error.

Something i noticed, when i tried to install the Ubuntu desktop in UEFI mode (just to see if i could) the installation said that their was no network connection
    over the ethernet cable which was plugged in, but after install it all worked fine.

Is it possible that the installation process load the correct drivers but for some reason cant "jump start" the NIC to establish a network connection?
    When i look under /sys/class/net i only see the lo interface, in the terminal under the installation process, can this be the issue?

Brainstorming here.
    just throwing this out there, you sure your wires good? i've had ton's of bad wires, turn out to be the root of many a issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    just throwing this out there, you sure your wires good? i've had ton's of bad wires, turn out to be the root of many a issues.
    All the wires and laptop components are working as expected. I went the other way around and installed Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS with UEFI, had no issues and than installed a display manager with more that
    i needed. The installation is a bit larger, so i will need to clean out packages that i dont need but now i atleast got past these driver issues for the NIC.

Thanks to all for suggestions and advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12