Thread: TP-LINK WN823N - can see but can't connect to my network

Beans

TP-LINK WN823N - can see but can't connect to my network

Hi,
    I'm new to Ubuntu. I use 16.04.3 LTS. I've just bought a wifi adapter I mentioned in the title. Everything seems to work fine, I can see my network in the network manager and type in my password. However, I can't connect to it, it tries to do so for some time but with no result.

I've previously tried to download and install rtl8192eu-dkms drivers but I couldn't make it work.

Code:
    ERROR: Cannot create report: [Errno 17] File exists: '/var/crash/rtl8192eu-dkms.0.crash'
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.13.0-36-generic (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/rtl8192eu/4.4/build/make.log for more information.
    Here's the result of wireless info script:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/p8SctCbmRN/

I'd appreciate if you could tell me what the problem is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: TP-LINK WN823N - can see but can't connect to my network

Before we try more extreme measures, let's see if we can tweak your existing setup a bit.

We see this in your results:
    Cell 02 - Address: <MAC 'ekchartnet' [AC2]>
    Channel:1
    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
    Quality=70/70 Signal level=-32 dBm
    Encryption key:on
    ESSID:"ekchartnet"
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
    24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Bit Rates:6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
    Mode:Master
    Extra:tsf=00000000e78b0183
    Extra: Last beacon: 1036ms ago
    IE: IEEE 802.11i/WPA2 Version 1
    Group Cipher : TKIP
    Pairwise Ciphers (2) : CCMP TKIP
    Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
    IE: WPA Version 1
    Group Cipher : TKIP
    Pairwise Ciphers (2) : CCMP TKIP
    Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
    Many wireless drivers and especially old Chili hate hate hate TKIP. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempor...grity_Protocol
    TKIP is vulnerable to a MIC key recovery attack that, if successfully executed, permits an attacker to transmit and decrypt arbitrary packets on the network being attacked.
    In short, TKIP is rather insecure.

WPA2-AES is preferred; not any WPA and WPA2 mixed mode and certainly not TKIP. Second, if your router is capable of N speeds, you may have better connectivity with a channel width of 20 MHz in the 2.4 GHz band instead of automatic 20/40 MHz, although it is likely to affect N speeds. I also have better luck with a fixed channel, either 1, 6 or 11, rather than automatic channel selection. Also, be certain the router is not set to use N speeds only; auto B, G and N is preferred. After making these changes, reboot the router.

Also, please set your regulatory domain explicitly. Check yours:
    Code:
    sudo iw reg get
    If you get 00, that is a one-size-maybe-fits-all setting. Find yours here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2 Then set it temporarily:
    Code:
    sudo iw reg set IS
    Of course, substitute your country code if not Iceland. Set it permanently:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/crda
    Change the last line to read:
    Code:
    REGDOMAIN=IS
    Proofread carefully, save and close the text editor.

Reboot the computer. Any improvement?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Thank you for the answer, I had to do some googling because I'm not really familiar with this topic. I set my router to WPA-PSK, 2.4 GHz band and channel 1. I also set my regulatory domain (it was 00 indeed). Anyway, there's no improvement in overall. Also, I still can't connect to my network even though it appears on the list.

I believe this is a problem with my usb wifi card itself rather than my network (but still, I'm thankful for the tips). It works fine when I try to connect to it from my laptop running on windows. Also, if I run wifi hotspot on my android device, I can connect to it from laptop with windows but still can't do that from my PC with Ubuntu (with aforementioned wifi adapter). I think I may not have drivers setup correctly but I'm not sure how I should go about it.
    Last edited by cosmickid; February 24th, 2018 at 05:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I set my router to WPA-PSK
    I hope you set it to WPA2-AES. Is that the case?

If so and if you are still having trouble, we'll dig a bit deeper.
    It works fine when I try to connect to it from my laptop running on windows.
    That only suggests that the hardware and the router are working correctly. It tells us nothing about the Ubuntu driver.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Sorry, I meant WPA2-PSK which as far as I can see uses AES encryption.

By the way, I solved my problem, I finally found suitable drivers here: https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver
    Compiled, installed, I can connect to my network as I desired.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2335795 - this thread turned out to be useful, strange I didn't find it when I did some extensive search.
    Anyway, thanks for your time, this thread can be marked as solved now.