Thread: Where to get help with a very small project needing knowledge of php?

Beans

Smile Where to get help with a very small project needing knowledge of php?

Hi all! I hope this is the right place to seek advice. Although I use Ubuntu (16.04) this is not an Ubuntu specific issue, and having looked at the coding section of the forums I'm quickly out of my depth.

My partner, an artist, has a small website originally designed and maintained by a friend of a friend for a very reasonable fee. He's now moved on, as has php, which is used in the site's files. The site ran perfectly well on php5.4, where it was still possible to turn on "register_globals" and "long_arrays" which seem to be crucial to the working of the site. But now php7 is around and even with 5.6, which I've installed locally to run the test site, those two options have been removed and the site is broken. (Oddly, it still works on the remote host, but I guess they have a more sophisticated setup.) Neither my partner or I can do coding, though I want to learn. But that's for the future and right now she urgently needs to develop the site with new material. We're looking for one-off help to make the existing site compatible with php7 (or 5.6), after which I'd hope to take on future upgrades. I suspect for someone with coding knowledge it would be a very simple job, but we don't know anyone we could ask. We're happy to pay, but most of the adverts I've seen so far are for commercial sites and much bigger projects. Where does one look for a friendly person who'd take on a small job like this for a fair fee? Any advice or personal recommendations would be most welcome.

Beans

Re: Where to get help with a very small project needing knowledge of php?

Check out the devshed forums for any help with programming. There's a large active section for PHP for help with coding. You could also try freelancer.com (formerly known as rentacoder.com) if you want bids for someone to work on it.

Beans

Re: Where to get help with a very small project needing knowledge of php?

That's very helpful - thank you. I'll check out those two sites.