Thread: aws ubuntu ami's don't include SND modules? how to include them

Beans

aws ubuntu ami's don't include SND modules? how to include them

On AWS EC2 I use Ubuntu 16.04 and have applications that don't need a real sound device (ie card) but they do at least have to have the Linux ALSA SND-DUMMY device installed.

My use-case is with Containers.. which I see quite a few other people asking about Sound support for also... just I have yet to see them ask this question.

Trying the following command line I find that the linux Module SND-DUMMY is not even included in the AWS Ubuntu AMI Linux modules ??

root@ip-10-180-42-188:~# modprobe snd-dummy ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; modprobe snd-mixer-oss ; modprobe snd-seq-oss
    modprobe: FATAL: Module snd-dummy not found in directory /lib/modules/4.4.0-1022-aws
    modprobe: FATAL: Module snd-pcm-oss not found in directory /lib/modules/4.4.0-1022-aws
    modprobe: FATAL: Module snd-mixer-oss not found in directory /lib/modules/4.4.0-1022-aws
    modprobe: FATAL: Module snd-seq-oss not found in directory /lib/modules/4.4.0-1022-aws

The Reference for the SND-DUMMY for ALSA is found here:
    https://www.alsa-project.org/main/in...x:Module-dummy

So far I've not been able to find any way to include them either.

Does anyone know of anyway to build a new kernel for Ubuntu on AWS EC2 so it includes the SND modules.

Thanks
    Brian

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: aws ubuntu ami's don't include SND modules? how to include them

You don't need a new kernel. You just need the snd-dummy module.
    Since the kernels are shared, the hostOS needs it, if containers will make use of it.

But realistically, to have sound work, it is better to transfer the audio data to the machine you are sitting behind for playback almost always. There might be exceptions, but I can't think of any right now.