Thread: [mint]: Mint 17 Cinnamon: Totem & VLC: Can't get either to disply subtitles

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

[mint]: Mint 17 Cinnamon: Totem & VLC: Can't get either to disply subtitles

Linux Mint 17 Qianna

Cinnamon Desktop

Totem 3.10.1

VLC 2.1.6

I've been trying to play a movie in *.mp4 format.

I've tried both VLC and Totem, loading the *.srd files. Neither displays the subtitles. I went through the preferences of each.

I could use some clues for solving this.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: [mint]: Mint 17 Cinnamon: Totem & VLC: Can't get either to disply subtitles

Thread moved to the MINT sub-forum.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

you mean .srt right not .srd?

● also rename your srt file the same as your video file example: myvideo.mp4 and myvideo.srt
    ● on VLC toggle the V key [press it off and on while your video is playing] it makes it visible or invisible
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by shantiq View Post
    you mean .srt right not .srd?

● also rename your srt file the same as your video file example: myvideo.mp4 and myvideo.srt
    ● on VLC toggle the V key [press it off and on while your video is playing] it makes it visible or invisible
    The name is already the same. Toggling the "v" key I did see the strings "track 1", "trac2", "subtitles disabled", but no subtitles.

Going back to totem I installed the plugin to find and dowload relevant subtitles. That seemed to work there.