Thread: Lubuntu Next image asks to choose window manager

Beans

Lubuntu Next image asks to choose window manager

I've never messed with Lubuntu Next before so I'm trying the Bionic daily and while booting the live image it asks me to choose window managers, only offering the "Other" option. From there it navigates to a listing of everything you'd see in the file manager and I have no idea what to choose. So color me confused

Beans

Re: Lubuntu Next image asks to choose window manager

I haven't tried it yet.

LXQT is suppose (one day) to replace LXDE, but all you get is the file manager lookin thingy. Sound like you hit on the first snafu. Wonder if TTY would let you use startx.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    I haven't tried it yet.

LXQT is suppose (one day) to replace LXDE, but all you get is the file manager lookin thingy. Sound like you hit on the first snafu. Wonder if TTY would let you use startx.
    I couldn't call up a tty at all. I did seem to get it installed selecting ubiquity, but there was an initramfs-utils error at the end and it's not possible to boot any session afterwards - not even plain old openbox. So I think it's safe to say it's borked ATM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just choose "open box". Here is bug report:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/lubuntu-next/+bug/1739959

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I just choose "open box". Here is bug report:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/lubuntu-next/+bug/1739959
    Thanks, I me too-ed and subscribed.

Beans

I tried the current Lubuntu Next in a virtual machine without installing it. So maybe that's why I didn't get "it asks me to choose window managers, only offering the "Other" option." but there were a couple of notifications about power management or battery which went away.

After that a "conventional" desktop appeared. They seem to be going with Qupzilla as the included browser.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I tried the current Lubuntu Next in a virtual machine without installing it. So maybe that's why I didn't get "it asks me to choose window managers, only offering the "Other" option." but there were a couple of notifications about power management or battery which went away.

After that a "conventional" desktop appeared. They seem to be going with Qupzilla as the included browser.
    I noticed in my email that the related bug was fixed but haven't checked to see if the fix made it into the daily images or not. I assume that it did based on what you're saying.

Last I checked KDE (or maybe Kubuntu) was taking over development of Qupzilla. Suits me fine

We have a lot of really fine choices right now regarding flavors and/or desktop environments, and it just keeps getting better.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Last I checked KDE (or maybe Kubuntu) was taking over development of Qupzilla. Suits me fine
    I saw that as well. From what I remember, I think KDE (?) would be extending some sort of infrastructural support.

http://blog.qupzilla.com/2017/08/qup...r-kde-and.html
    https://clivejo.com/falkon-new-brows...-kde-umbrella/

Re. the window manager choice, both you and VMC went for an actual install. I just tried the live session. So, I'm not sure if things are fixed or not.
    Last edited by vasa1; February 14th, 2018 at 06:07 AM.