Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu will not talk to my printer-cups error

Beans

Ubuntu will not talk to my printer-cups error

My new Brother 3180CDW color laser-jet printer is seen by unbuntu but If I plug the printer into my laptop the software never sees it,but sees thumb drives and my cell phone just fine. I get a constant CUPS error if I try to print to it. I am new to Ubentu and know little about its software and commands.
    Screenshot from 2018-02-12 16-41-19.jpg
    Screenshot from 2018-02-10 15-13-41.png

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ububtu will not talk to my printer-cups error

I would try reinstalling the printer with it plugged in.
    download the driver install tool from brother from here.
    Last edited by kc1di; February 14th, 2018 at 09:54 AM.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

It did not work. The software never reacted to the usb being plugged in. Reloading the software did not help,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

go to this page and follow the instructions for installing brother printers. It is written for mint but should work with Ubuntu also.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

so Rob; sorry to hear of these troubles; if this is a usb connection, if you plug the Brother in to your laptop; (which is where all the issues are?) ...... and you open a terminal and type
    Code:
    lsusb
    .... that is asking the computer to LIST what usb devices are connected: does the Brother get listed

________________--

when you said
    The software never reacted to the usb being plugged in.
    ...... which software did you mean please?

In Ubuntu 17.04, airprint compatibility was introduced; as I understand it, if a printer is on this list https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT201311 then Ubuntu should recognise it; and auto-configure it; so one does not need the Brother drivers installed;

this HL-3180CDW is airprint compatible

many folks are on 16.04 Ubuntu; as a long-term support version; the next one is due mid-April so it will be 18.04 so it should have continued airprint support from 17.04 .............
    Last edited by pdc; February 15th, 2018 at 01:27 AM.

Beans

OK, I removed the software (drivers) and reloaded. I hooked up the USB and it appears the laptop "see" the printer. I then downloaded new software and opened it. It looked to be loaded but I get a constant error every time about cups and other errors. I'm not sure why this happens.
    Plugging in the printers USB cable the laptop does NOT respond. If I open up "system settings" the printer is shown and is set to primary.
    Here are several screenshots as to what is being displayed.I did NOT include all the licenses baloney.
    Last edited by rapidrob; February 15th, 2018 at 07:58 PM.

Beans

Beans

Beans

Another unrelated problem is I plugged in external speakers in the head-phone jack. The sound is very loud and badly distorted. There does not seem to be a volume control for the head phones. The on-board speakers work normally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Pardon me if I missed it but what version of Ubuntu are you using? 16.04, 17.10 or something else? The reason I ask is that I run both versions in a dual boot configuration. 16.04 works perfectly both print and scan, 17.10 works okay for printing but not for scanning. If you're using 17.10, it might be worth installing 16.04 instead or in addition. Rightly or wrongly I regard the non-LTS versions as beta software where Canonical can introduce new stuff and test it before incorporating it into LTS releases. I'm running 17.10 on my main machine but rock solid 16.04 is there is needed. I would not be surprised if hardware vendors develop and test their machines on LTS releases. I don't know but suspect that to be the case; chasing new versions every 6 months might be a bit much for manufacturers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast