Thread: Oryx pro 3 various issues

Beans

Oryx pro 3 various issues

Hey folks,
    I received my new oryxp3 to replace my old gazelle and am facing a few disagreements which you may be able to help me with (hopefully).

-Trackpad lag:
    The reactivity of the trackpad is way slower than on my previous machine. It just seems laggish when you move the cursor around. Anyone faced that? I understood this trackpad needs a specific driver, is this something that should be updated in some way?

-Fans running pretty much constantly:
    I got the gtx1070 and 3.9 gigHz CPU. The fans are running pretty much all the time even when I'm not doing much and that's annoying as hell! I've removed all the fancy unity animations and such to ease the gpu. I've tried to play with the nvidia settings but can't find a way to manually control the fan speed. Is this something possible at all?
    I've got irq/132-nvidia process eating a little bit of the cpu pretty much all the time. Is that normal?
    cpu.jpgsensors.jpeg

Not super happy overall about that machine :\

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Oryx pro 3 various issues

I have Oryx Pro3 with GTX 1070 as well, and the fans are indeed noisy. From what I have noticed, if there is any application consuming about ~10% CPU continuously, then the fans kick in and it's disturbing. However, that doesn't really happen all the time, and the processes consuming that much CPU can be killed.
    I've got irq/132-nvidia process eating a little bit of the cpu pretty much all the time. Is that normal?
    I have a similar process running, but that seems to be consuming 0-1% of CPU

From the images, I can see your GPU temperature is just 43 degrees. That's almost the lowest temperature I see my GPU at. Usually, my GPU is at about 50-53 degrees.

Beans

Hey! Same 3 Issues here with my new Oryx Pro with GTX 1070. I complained about the fan noise and System 76 replaced the cooling fan and the heatsink. The noise is exactly the same as before... which is extremely annoying... The cooling fan kick in very hard even when browsing with a single tab on a google search page..... The temperature of my cores vary between 45 and 55 C or even more sometimes. I am also experiencing lag times with the trackpad.... Please let me know if you find a solution to any of this..

By the way, I've tried Ubuntu, Debian (Gnome) and POP OS and the problems remain the same.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meyer-ant View Post
    Hey folks,
    I received my new oryxp3 to replace my old gazelle and am facing a few disagreements which you may be able to help me with (hopefully).

-Trackpad lag:
    The reactivity of the trackpad is way slower than on my previous machine. It just seems laggish when you move the cursor around. Anyone faced that? I understood this trackpad needs a specific driver, is this something that should be updated in some way?

I got the gtx1070 and 3.9 gigHz CPU. The fans are running pretty much all the time even when I'm not doing much and that's annoying as hell! I've removed all the fancy unity animations and such to ease the gpu. I've tried to play with the nvidia settings but can't find a way to manually control the fan speed. Is this something possible at all?
    cpu.jpgsensors.jpeg

Not super happy overall about that machine :\
    I have also the Oryx pro with GTX1070 and am super happy about it, have none of your problems but then there may be some differences in specs. Which driver are you using 390.30 and 390.48 both work great here

It seems that no one from system76 actually reads these threads, better open a support ticket at their site.

P.S I don't think unity and fancy desktop animations have anything to do with the gpu, check nvidia-smi it is always 0% unless I am doing cuda stuffs.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 12th, 2018 at 08:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro

That's interesting! I assumed that the fan is going to be noisy, no matter what.
    My current nVidia driver version is 384.111

I will try updating after a week from now and share the results here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by overlord.gaurav View Post
    That's interesting! I assumed that the fan is going to be noisy, no matter what.
    My current nVidia driver version is 384.111

I will try updating after a week from now and share the results here.
    Update: No change after updating to nvidia driver v 396

Beans

Smile Re: Oryx pro 3 various issues

Hello,

I was able to control both CPU and GPU Fan for my Oryx Pro 3 b.

#you can look at the exact System76 computer version you have here
    cat /sys/class/dmi/id/product_version # oryp3-b

I've cloned this repo locally and then performed compilation (without install)
    https://github.com/davidrohr/clevo-indicator

sudo apt-get install libappindicator3-dev libgtk-3-dev
    git clone https://github.com/davidrohr/clevo-indicator.git
    cd clevo-indicator
    make
    sudo su
    #Set CPU Fan to 50%
    bin/clevo-indicator set 50
    #Set GPU Fan to 50% (less noisy)
    bin/clevo-indicator setg 50
    I didn't experience much with the clevo-indicator lib. Setting the uid=root didn't work and I was unable to have it in the ubuntu top bar.

But this is a proof of concept that we can use low level EC functions to control both fans.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

However, if you manually control your fans, you need to watch the cpu temp.
    I have had overheating shudowns on Kubuntu 14.04 running hte HWE kernel with the first version of the OryxPro.
    No overheating issues with Xubuntu 18.04.
    I keep a terminal window open running:
    Code:
    watch -n 8 sensors
    I agree the fans are annoying.
    Agree it seems to be related to the nvidia cards - and it is much worse with external lcds attached.
    The same load on a Galago does not cause fan noise.