Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: WiFi driver for Samsung Galaxy Book

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: WiFi driver for Samsung Galaxy Book

Quote Originally Posted by makem2 View Post
    WiFi is working correctly and I am now able to use 5GHz.

Thank you for your assistance and patience.

Do you still require the dmesg?
    Woo hoo! Glad it's working and very, very grateful for Jeremy's very skillful assistance. Thank you!

Please use thread tools at the top to mark Solved. The searchers will appreciate it. As you saw, we used Google extensively to find clues and a solved thread will help others.

Thanks again, Jeremy.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Trying to get some answers on IRC from the ath10k devs on why the patch isn't committed yet...nothing but silence so far and the infradead mailing list seems down

Not a problem chili555, glad makem2 has working wifi

Beans

Hi Chilli555, hi Jeremy31,

I run into the same problem makem2 and several other had with the QCA6174. I got a fail with a slightly different version because I use the Samsung book 10,6:

[ 19.746598] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: qca6174 hw3.2 target 0x05030000 chip_id 0x00340aff sub 144d:c150
    but in the end got the same problem with
    EEPROM regdomain: 0x5f

Anyways, the Backport-4.14 from Jeremy31 worked for me with the Ubuntu version 16.04, but I switched to the beta 18.04 because of missing energy saving and standby mode with 16.04. I tried the Backport-4.14 but that didn't work. Now I sit here, reading lots of threads and mailing lists but I'm not able to solve the problem. Cloud you guys help me?
    Thanks in advance.
    Yu Kei

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You could try this
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git build-essential
    git clone https://github.com/jeremyb31/ath-4.15.git
    cd ath-4.15
    cp /usr/src/$(uname -r)/.config ./
    cp /usr/src/$(uname -r)/Module.symvers ./
    make -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build M=$(pwd) modules
    sudo cp ath.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath
    Reboot

After other kernel updates you will need to do
    Code:
    cd ath-4.15
    make -C /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build M=$(pwd) clean
    cp /usr/src/$(uname -r)/.config ./
    cp /usr/src/$(uname -r)/Module.symvers ./
    Last edited by jeremy31; May 28th, 2018 at 05:10 PM.

Beans

Yes, yes, yes, don't ask me what you did, but at least it worked.

To make it work, I change this two lines from:

Code:
    cp /usr/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/.config ./ 
    cp /usr/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/Module.symvers ./
    to

Code:
    cp /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/.config ./ 
    cp /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/Module.symvers ./
    and I cloud swear that in this instruction "sudo cp ath.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath" - the directory after kernel -> drivers/net/wireless/ath didn't exist. So I copied the ath.ko file manually to "/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/drivers/net/wireless/ath".
    After a reboot that didn't work, but executing "sudo cp ath.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath" worked and after a second reboot I had a working wifi.

I wright this just in case someone else might run into the same problems. Again, thank a lot. Someone on the other end of the line is happy.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: WiFi driver for Samsung Galaxy Book

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy31 View Post
    You could try this
    Code:
    git clone https://github.com/jeremyb31/ath-4.15.git
    cd ath-4.15
    Reboot

After other kernel updates you will need to do
    Code:
    cd ath-4.15
    I'm a dedicated Debian user running the Buster branch, utilizing the 4.15.2 Kernel.

I've tried for over 2 months now to get the Atheros QCA6174 WiFi working on my Samsung Galaxy Book 12. This solution worked for me.

I've followed many a guide, building dkms from source, trying several different git user's repositories and several different drivers, yet none of them worked.

I did have to drop `/usr` for the `cp` steps, as another user stated, but otherwise it was flawless - not a single error.
    Code:
    ---

I about cried when I spent 3 minutes following these instructions.....and rebooted to the WiFi actually being enabled and waiting on me to select a network - I'm currently posting this on my Galaxy Book's built-in wifi.

---

I have everything except for the built-in 4glte (which doesnt even so much as show up as a piece of hardware in any command I run, lspci, lsusb, etc), and speakers (though bluetooth sound works in HDP and a2dp mode). The pen, touch, pressure, and multi-gesture (screen and touchpad) and now the wifi...all working.

I've been plugging my phone in everywhere I go to get internet on this thing and now I can finally use it with its built-in wifi. Thank you so much. I made an account on this forum to pay my respect. Hands down, you rock Jeremy31!

Would you mind explaining what the actual problem was, or what you changed in the source that was the problem with the firmware? No worries if not. If there is someplace specifically I can bump to get your changes included upstream(?), where would that be?

Thanks again, its amazing how simple you made this fix. I will link to this post and tattoo the instructions on my arm (i kid).

Lastly, if you could get the 4glte working, I'd definitely buy you a beer at the least!

Beans

Hi devrix,

as far as I understood, this is a forgotten countrycode !!! Forgotten for the last two year and future version. Don't laugh, there are patches for the whole 4.16 kernel and may be more. At least I wrote a bug report for launchpad but as far as I could see it's a kernel.org thing. Sound is not country related but also a kernel.org thing. I didn't open a bug report till now.

Well, with the file 'regd_common.h' that contains wrong country codes (regdomain: 0x5f - island?). There are some report hanging around. So Carsten Haitzler a.k. Rasterman (entlightenment desktop) run into the same problem. But he needed seconds to solve the problem where we need additional help. See:
    https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9951857/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by devrikx View Post
    I'm a dedicated Debian user running the Buster branch, utilizing the 4.15.2 Kernel.

I've tried for over 2 months now to get the Atheros QCA6174 WiFi working on my Samsung Galaxy Book 12. This solution worked for me.

I've followed many a guide, building dkms from source, trying several different git user's repositories and several different drivers, yet none of them worked.

I did have to drop `/usr` for the `cp` steps, as another user stated, but otherwise it was flawless - not a single error.
    Code:
    ---

I about cried when I spent 3 minutes following these instructions.....and rebooted to the WiFi actually being enabled and waiting on me to select a network - I'm currently posting this on my Galaxy Book's built-in wifi.

---

I have everything except for the built-in 4glte (which doesnt even so much as show up as a piece of hardware in any command I run, lspci, lsusb, etc), and speakers (though bluetooth sound works in HDP and a2dp mode). The pen, touch, pressure, and multi-gesture (screen and touchpad) and now the wifi...all working.

I've been plugging my phone in everywhere I go to get internet on this thing and now I can finally use it with its built-in wifi. Thank you so much. I made an account on this forum to pay my respect. Hands down, you rock Jeremy31!

Would you mind explaining what the actual problem was, or what you changed in the source that was the problem with the firmware? No worries if not. If there is someplace specifically I can bump to get your changes included upstream(?), where would that be?

Thanks again, its amazing how simple you made this fix. I will link to this post and tattoo the instructions on my arm (i kid).

Lastly, if you could get the 4glte working, I'd definitely buy you a beer at the least!
    I have a Galaxy Book and this worked for me! At least until I did an update. Ever-since, I have been unable to get my wifi working again. Long story short, I am now using a different Ubuntu flavor (I am still very very new to all of this) with a fresh install. When I try to follow the above steps, I get errors about implicit declarations of functions in the "ar5523.c" file. Any advice? Thanks!

Beans

I know this isn't helpful, so I am sorry. However, my issue has been resolved. I went through the entire thread, re-did everything that I had previously tried, got all the same error messages, but this time, my wifi drivers seem happy to do their job. The only guess I have is running this current batch of updates (I didn't note which where installed sadly; the price of multitasking) seemed to help. Regardless, thanks for all of this information and help.

Beans

I've been following jeremyb31's directions - successfully - for quite some time now. His solution has worked flawlessly for my Samsung Galaxy Book 12, which is running Debian Buster. I've even posted tweaks to the instructions for Debian users just to ease the process for newcomers to the issue.

Unfortunately, as of kernel version 4.17 the solution (as-is) stops working - due to an error which occurs during the build process.

The error occurs because of the following function call made in cfg80211.c, found at line 1599 within the wil6210 directory of the source for the Atheros kernel driver - which is picked from the pre-4.17 linux kernel source tree:

Code:
    cfg80211_probe_status(ndev, sta->addr, req->cookie, alive, GFP_KERNEL);
    The API for the method has since been updated to accept 2 additional arguments:

Code:
    cfg80211_probe_status(ndev, sta->addr, req->cookie, alive,
                      0, false, GFP_KERNEL);

For my own use-case, I merged the updated wil6210 directory from the latest 4.17 linux kernel source tree with the modified source provided by jeremyb31 - and it seems to be working perfectly. Whatever changes he made were not within that directory.

Additionally, I created a repository on Github where I'm hosting the updated source code for kernel version 4.17 - as well as the older source for kernel versions 4.15 and 4.16 (on named branches, respectively). The repository's README is also loaded with instructions for walking users through the process of getting their wifi working.
    Before long I'll have figured out the changes made to the older source, and will transpile (my, how terms change ) them into the newer Atheros source from the latest kernel source tree.

For an expedited set of [debian] instructions without leaving ubuntuforums - if you are using kernel version 4.17:

Code:
    git clone https://github.com/devrikx/atheros
    cd atheros
    Reboot

When a kernel update happens, the wifi will break - at which point you'll need to perform the following:

Code:
    cd atheros

NOTE - On Ubuntu, just prepend /usr to /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/.config and /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/Module.symvers copy commands.

MANY THANKS - To jeremyb31 for having provided the source and instructions to get wifi working on my Samsung Galaxy Book 12

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast