Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D-Link DWA-131 Adapter Low signal Strength.Same adapter gives full signal strength in

Beans

D-Link DWA-131 Adapter Low signal Strength.Same adapter gives full signal strength in

Hello People

I have purchases a small D-link DWA 131(Hardware Version-E1) Wifi-Adapter and i have installed the necessary drivers for the same.But the Adapter gives me a low signal strength when the wifi router is in the next room and when i use this adapter in windows,it gives me a good full signal strength.Any ideas how can i fix this?
    I am using Ubuntu 17.10

Link for Pastebin-https://paste.ubuntu.com/26546530/

This link contains the output of the wireless script mentioned in the forums.And i also have a Broadcom Adapter in-Built which is not very good that is why i am using the D-Link DWA-131 Adapter(USB).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: D-Link DWA-131 Adapter Low signal Strength.Same adapter gives full signal strengt

There is another driver we can try and it will probably work better, I am curious what exactly is wrong with your internal card? broadcom devices are usually pretty reliable.

Please Do:
    Code:
    sudo apt install git
    git clone https://github.com/Mange/rtl8192eu-linux-driver.git
    cd rtl8192eu-linux-driver
    make
    sudo make install 
    sudo modprope -rv rtl8xxxu
    sudo modprobe 8192eu
    do not reboot, if this driver works better we will have to blacklist the rtl8xxxu driver.

You will have to recompile this driver every time the kernel is upgraded.

Beans

Re: D-Link DWA-131 Adapter Low signal Strength.Same adapter gives full signal strengt

You will have to recompile this driver every time the kernel is upgraded.
    Would dkms work in this case.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    Would dkms work in this case.
    It can but the last I read there was issues with the dkms package in this driver and the driver was having to be installed without the dkms package in order for it to work, have not read that it is fixed yet.

Beans

i believe the Broadcom WiFi chip in my laptop has been physically damaged since my laptop has fallen/knocked over a couple of times.Specifically the antennae.

I will try the solution after some time and let you know.If it works,then can i shut the system down later?

Edit.Did the installation and Signal Strength Has Increased.
    Last edited by blaine12100; February 10th, 2018 at 08:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If you shut it down before we blacklist the driver it is using now when you start it up again it will load both drivers and they will conflict.

I am not sure if that driver will compile on your computer, I have a third party kernel on my computer so I can run amd graphics and it will not allow me to compile any drivers or packages so I could not test it on my computer.

You will need to also have kernel headers and build essential installed to compile the driver, you can install them with the following command.
    Code:
    sudo apt install --reinstall linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential
    Run the above command first.

Thanks

Beans

I installed the headers as requested.Immediately i can notice a increase in signal strength(Between 3-4 or Good/Excellent.)

But i still have a bit of an issue wherein if i go to the corner-most part of the room,the wifi is connected but no data is able to pass through(Although other devices can connect just fine)

And the Device's LED does not light up.Is it an issue?

And how can i blacklist the driver.?

Extremely sorry as i have only used Ubuntu for about a month.

Sometimes i also have an issue like the one shown in the screen shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blaine12100; February 10th, 2018 at 08:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Before I give instructions to blacklist the driver please run and post the wireless script again so we can see if there is more we can do to make your connection more stable and we will double check that you are using the driver that you compiled.

Thanks

Beans

Link for Pastebin Output after Running Script.
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/=vqRghTQ325/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Both drivers are loaded so we will blacklist the original driver then we will see how your connection is with just the new driver loaded.

Please do:
    echo "blacklist rtl8xxxu" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    Then:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -rv rtl8xxxu
    sudo modprobe -v 8192eu
    Let us know how it is working after blacklisting the original driver please.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast