Thread: Check for iso integrity downloaded from Microsoft for support on client machines that

Beans

Check for iso integrity downloaded from Microsoft for support on client machines that

When a client has a computer with windows pre installed this iso image that came from the factory even formatting reset restoring system does not work well ie windows does not work well with iso that came from factory as I can check the integrity of microsoft iso in ubuntu to know if there was no violation in the downloaded iso image?
    How to check the integrity of iso windows on Ubuntu.
    Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; February 9th, 2018 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Removed windows link in a foreign language

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Check for iso integrity downloaded from Microsoft for support on client machines

Thread moved to Windows, a more appropriate forum.

Re: Check for iso integrity downloaded from Microsoft for support on client machines

In Ubuntu terminal,
    Code:
    sudo md5sum /path/to/file.iso
    and press enter
    Minutes later...google the hash md5sum gives you.

Verification is another story.
    Get it from MS directly?
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Keep in mind this is probably an OEM supplied ISO and could include software not native to Windows. It's likely only the OEM could provide the ISO checksum.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

technically I have a client with windows installed already I made recovery process through the manufacturer's recovery to do a clean installation I can download an iso do the installation can not?
    my doubt is with microsoft iso in ubuntu how to check for integrity ie if Iso was not corrupted during download do this with an ISO windows using ubuntu?

Beans

in case with this command I can check the integrity of an iso already recorded on DVD in case I already downloaded and already recorded in the mediaI do not think it should be changed from topic I want to check an iso image of windows inside ubuntu I use ubuntu 16.04Thanks for listening
    after downloaded iso how to confirm integrity if there was no iso violation during download?

this command resolves sudo md5sum /path/to/file.iso
    https://www.microsoft.com/pt-br/soft...d/windows10ISO
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...57b678a?auth=1

Beans

Verifying an iso on Ubuntu or Linux was explained to you in post #3 above. That command, run properly will produce an md5sum which you then compare to the md5sum for that specific iso file which is going to be available from and on the microsoft site and nowhere else.

Beans

I understood this command
    sudo md5sum /path/to/file.iso
    thanks for listening

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You should be able to run checksums without root or sudo on any file that's readable by you normally.
    Example: I can run without root to see the hash for my .conkyrc file
    Code:
    sha256sum .conkyrc
    befddf2b16e4e2b380ed100f36ee8bfb0eccc0328fe95d1245e85c665602599b  .conkyrc
    but if I try a checksum on a file that requires root to view then i get something this:
    Code:
    sha256sum /etc/shadow
    sha256sum: /etc/shadow: Permission denied
    (I used the shadow file since that's a known file that is only readable by root.)

Even though I used sha256sum, the same applies to any checksum.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful