Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excited about 18.04!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Excited about 18.04!

I have been waiting for support for my HP 17-121 wm laptop for months and it is finally here with the 4.15 kernel in the 18.04 development build! Great to see Gnome Shell looking so good in Ubuntu too! The features there are now are great too, really like the night light feature! I see a lot of good things in this release already! Can hardly wait for 18.04 to go final!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Excited about 18.04!

Thread moved to Ubuntu Development Version. which is more appropriate and a better fit.

Beans

i like it to, but it's still very buggy. does it still have the double icons in the launcher?

i'm currently playing with fedora 27, which has all that updated goodness, but man what a learning curve for debian based user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I had double icons, just removed one. Today I added an icon and I just got one like I was supposed to.

Beans

i'll most likely stick with fedora 27 till the release. everything just works how its suppose to, except for not being able to copy zipped files from my sd card, i'm having a really nice experience with fedora 27.
    i added plank to my gnome instead of dash to dock & it kinda feels like elementary os speed wise. eos is the fastest ubuntu spin i've come across, but its based on 16.04 & wanted more updated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I was waiting for the 4.15 kernel because of my hardware, no other distro would run on it. I had read that 18.04 was using the 4.15 kernel and decided to try it. After months of waiting my HP laptop is finally running Linux! I like what was done with 18.04 to give it that Ubuntu Unity sort of style and color. Memory use is outstanding for a developmental build too, 1.1 GB at startup! Considering there is still two moths of development remaining 18.04 is pretty impressive.

Beans

yeah, i know that feeling all to well.
    Screenshot from 2018-02-25 17-43-35.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I will also be excited about the new version release I use Lubuntu 16.04.3 currently. But I will be trying out 18.04 soon. I will try it out in VirtualBox and I am hoping that some one has checked that the TRY Lubuntu without installing option works as it did in 14.04 but not in 16.04 where the graphics screen resolution was all wrong. Only by accessing a terminal window and then typing sudo service lightdm restart would i be able to get back to a functioning graphics screen. All I can hope that this feature of the LIVE-CD is tested in a virtual machine prior to release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've been away from Ubuntu and linux for quite some time (currently running windows 10 which i like a lot)...I wanted to take a peak at how ubuntu has been coming along and look at 18.04 LTS (i realize it is still in in development stage).

I downloaded the AMD 64 image from Ubuntu's server...I'm a little rusty on this...is that ok to run on a computer with an intel processor?
    I'm going to run it live session, just to play with it...is it fairly stable at this point?
    Also, would like to add the codecs while i am running it...where do you get that from these days in ubuntu (as i said...been a way for some time and kind of "rusty" on this...LOL)?

Thanks in advance for your help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I downloaded the AMD 64 image from Ubuntu's server...I'm a little rusty on this...is that ok to run on a computer with an intel processor?...
    Yes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast