Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashback session fails to boot

Beans

Flashback session fails to boot

Just tried this morning in Bionic and after selecting flashback w/metacity I still boot to the Ubuntu desktop. I've tried rebooting also as I know gdm is funky.

Beans

Re: Flashback session fails to boot

Must be a gdm3 thing because it works OK with lightdm and lightdm-gtk-greeter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

It works very well on the unity-session with lightdm.

regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

^^ And? This has what to do with the original post? In what way is this helpful? Is Unity part of any Ubuntu development version?
    Last edited by QIII; February 10th, 2018 at 07:51 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Just tried this morning in Bionic and after selecting flashback w/metacity I still boot to the Ubuntu desktop. I've tried rebooting also as I know gdm is funky.
    Just because a new added session is shown on the gdm greeter doesn't mean it's actually selected. If you had just switched off & then back to your added session in the dropdown you would have gotten the expected results.
    When it comes to alternative sessions I've found lightdm to provide a better experience. You may or may not find that to be the case with your chosen alternative session. With some use you may be able to discern any benefits if they exist.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Just because a new added session is shown on the gdm greeter doesn't mean it's actually selected. If you had just switched off & then back to your added session in the dropdown you would have gotten the expected results.
    When it comes to alternative sessions I've found lightdm to provide a better experience. You may or may not find that to be the case with your chosen alternative session. With some use you may be able to discern any benefits if they exist.
    That was not the case this time. Even after repeated reboots selecting flashback w/metacity still just booted to the default DE. I haven't followed up since then to see if that's still the case. I probably need to test on a fresh install because that one has been too heavily modified to serve as a good out-of-box experiment.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    It works very well on the unity-session with lightdm.

regards..
    But not with gdm3?

It's really no big deal to use lightdm. For the unity session which lightdm greeter do you use?

Beans

But not with gdm3?

It's really no big deal to use lightdm. For the unity session which lightdm greeter do you use?
    unity-greeter is a dependency of lightdm so if using lightdm one might as well use it

"Even after repeated reboots selecting flashback w/metacity still just booted to the default DE"
    Just in case I wasn't being clear, I think one could reboot till the cows come home, won't change. What I was meaning was you would have to actually select another session in the greeter, then re-select flashback.

So here when I installed flashback & rebooted at the greeter it showed flashback as being selected. However logging in produced the ubuntu session instead. Logging back out, selecting ubuntu, then selecting flashback did produce the fb session.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    ^^ And? This has what to do with the original post? In what way is this helpful? Is Unity part of any Ubuntu development version?
    unity-session shell is in the universe and is loaded on Bionic beaver amd64.iso using lightdm and boots just fine. You said we could discuss unity-session, not Ubuntu Development Version. so my reply is directly related to OP.

Beans
    Distro

But not with gdm3?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lightdm
    Thats it. If you have gdm3 installed it will ask you to choose. I remove gdm3 first then install lightdm.

unity-session is a shell in the universe. It is like xmonad and razorqt etc.. which can be run on xorg and gnome3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast