Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPD (Media Player Daemon) configuration - no audio

Beans

MPD (Media Player Daemon) configuration - no audio

I have two computer, both running Ubuntu 17.10.

On computer #1 I installed mpd. In mpd's configuration file I have this for audio settings:

audio_output {
    type "pulse"
    name "MPD"
    server "localhost"
    }

On computer #2 I have GMPC (Gnome Media Player Client) running, it is connected to the music database specified in the mpd configuration file on computer #1.

When I play a song on GMPC on computer #2, it shows the song as playing, but I unable to get any audio to come out of the speakers on computer #1. When I look at the "Server Settings" under "Preferences" within GMPC on computer #2, in the "Output Devices" section I don't even see the computer #1 output device that I specified in the mpd configuration file on computer #1.

I've done much searching to figure out what I am doing wrong, but have found nothing. I am asking if any of you know what I ought to do in order to get audio from the speakers on computer #1 when I am playing music in GMPC on computer #2.

Beans

Re: MPD (Media Player Daemon) configuration - no audio

I believe your server is pointing to the wrong host. The config needs to be pointing to the correct pulse server in order for the audio to go through to that one, which is on the client machine. The exact change will depend on the method of communication between the two machines, like an IP address or hostname and see if that works.

I FORGOT TO ADD, don't forget to make sure to go into the file for pulse, which is default.pa the configuration for pulseaudio and uncomment authorizing connections over the LAN or whatever. With the following entry should do (if you prefer to restrict access to certain ip address only that is of course permissible). As is probably several other ways that could still involve pulseaudio or not. But I just tested this and it works like a charm using the IP address for client in the mpd configuration on server, and then making the following change on the client machine:

/etc/pulse/default.pa
    load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-anonymous=true

Another link that could help (if you want to use the preferences in a gui program available as well to pulse)
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/2803...iple-computers
    Last edited by jonnykickinbut; February 9th, 2018 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added add'l link

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonnykickinbut View Post
    I believe your server is pointing to the wrong host. The config needs to be pointing to the correct pulse server in order for the audio to go through to that one, which is on the client machine. The exact change will depend on the method of communication between the two machines, like an IP address or hostname and see if that works.

I FORGOT TO ADD, don't forget to make sure to go into the file for pulse, which is default.pa the configuration for pulseaudio and uncomment authorizing connections over the LAN or whatever. With the following entry should do (if you prefer to restrict access to certain ip address only that is of course permissible). As is probably several other ways that could still involve pulseaudio or not. But I just tested this and it works like a charm using the IP address for client in the mpd configuration on server, and then making the following change on the client machine:

/etc/pulse/default.pa
    load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-anonymous=true

Another link that could help (if you want to use the preferences in a gui program available as well to pulse)
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/2803...iple-computers

Thank you for your response.

I had already done everything you discuss in your second and third paragraphs. That obviously did not help.

I do not understand your first paragraph. Your sentences, "I believe your server is pointing to the wrong host. The config needs to be pointing to the correct pulse server...." are mysterious. Are you able to elaborate, what exactly would I need to change?

Beans

I think you have to change this line:

Code:
    server "localhost"
    Put in the the correct hostname or IP address.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ivanovnegro2 View Post
    I think you have to change this line:

Code:
    server "localhost"
    Put in the the correct hostname or IP address.

Well..... Again, thank you for the ideas.

I tried "localhost", I tried "127.0.0.1", and I tried the exact internal IP address of the computer. None of those options worked.

Beans

Can your post your .mpdconf.

Personally I use mpd but just on my main laptop, not as a server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sound is to be fully configured also on computer #1. With gmpd, you are only remote-controlling mpd. Can you get music playing with other software on computer #1, or with an mpd client installed on computer #1?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Sound is to be fully configured also on computer #1. With gmpd, you are only remote-controlling mpd. Can you get music playing with other software on computer #1, or with an mpd client installed on computer #1?
    Yes, in all other circumstances sound works just fine on computer #1.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ivanovnegro2 View Post
    Can your post your .mpdconf.

Personally I use mpd but just on my main laptop, not as a server.
    Attached to this reply is my mpd.conf file as you requested:

mpd.txt

Beans

Once I had a problem setting up mpd as its own service like in your case and I had problems with the sound because mpd was not in the audio group.

See what is in the audio group:

Code:
    cat /etc/group | grep audio
    You can add mpd to it:

Code:
    sudo usermod -aG audio mpd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast