Thread: Please, oh please, Forum Gods, change my displayed name back!

Please, oh please, Forum Gods, change my displayed name back!

Arrrggggggg!

I haven't logged in to these fora for a LONG time, and had to reset my (forgotten) password. That was done successfully, but then I was confronted with a page asking me to enter all sorts of what appeared to me to be NEW personal information. I don't have any recollection of having seen this page before, but maybe I did, when i first created the account, years ago now.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, The point is that I dutifully entered my full name and left my "user ID" as it was already (i.e. ronbaby).

I then made one post and then, while looking at that, I remembered this particular (and very peculiar) way that user IDs are handled on this site... which is apparently like no other membership-based web site in the known universe.

So anyway, please sirs, if you would be so kind, please revert my DISPLAY NAME for my postings on this site back to what it was before, i.e. just "ronbaby" and -not- the ludicrous mangled version of my full name, with letters dropped off the end and underscores stuck in, pointlessly, where they don't belong.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

P.S. Yes, I really do care about my privacy, and because my posting here today talked about certain Ubuntu security bugs which, as I noted, I may or may not have patched yet, I am NOT at all eager to be publicly identified, e.g. in connection with my other posting in these fora today.

I hope and trust that you understand.

P.P.S. I'm sure that someday someone will explain to me why users of these fora must beg others to change their display names here, rather than being allowed to do it themselves... you know... like on 99.99% of the rest of the web sites on the Internet.

Not that I am complaining at all. NOOOOOO! I would NEVER do that! Far from it. I'm am absolutely confident that there is a compellingly good reason why the manner of handling user-IDs on this site absolutely MUST be different from how it is done on the entire rest of the Internet. Yep. Absolutely. I am just too feeble and ignorant to understand or intuit that rationale. Of this, I am sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Please, oh please, Forum Gods, change my displayed name back!

Hello, you need to go to Ubuntu One and change the preferred email address to the one you used on your original forum account, if you do not know the original email please pm me and I will help you with that, for the record we do not administer Ubuntu One.

The reason you created a new account instead of logging into your original account is that you used a different email address at Ubuntu One then the email address on your original forum account.

Provide link to original account.
    Please review the following link:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230004

Please leave the drama out from here on out.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Please, oh please, Forum Gods, change my displayed name back!

I'm going to add to what wildmanne39 says about please leaving the drama out.

We have to deal with a lot of people who, before logging in the first time with Ubuntu One SSO, have failed to read the link that says, quite clearly, "Please read before SSO login" and which takes you to the page that wildemanne39 has helpfully linked in his post. We are patient with them. Partly because SSO login, and the way it is implemented, was imposed on us, and the forum staff dislike it even more than members who run foul of it. And partly because, when confronted by an unfamiliar online environment, the link can be easliy missed. And we are patient because we are glad to help - usually.

But I'm not going to be patient with you.

You created this forum account on January 26 2015, that is over three years ago. In all that time your username has been what you can see now. All the posts you made this year, the 15 posts you made in 2016, and the 4 posts you made in 2015, displayed your current username when first posted. So there is nothing new about the username you can see, and it doesn't wash for you to complain about privacy issues when you have had 3 years to do something about it. Which leads me to...

I was going to ask you if you had not noticed in all of those long 3 years, but then I found this:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2327514

Does that ring a bell?

Anyway, the page you were confronted with was not a forum one. It sounds like an Ubuntu One page from ubuntu.com asking you to confirm personal details for their purposes, not ours. We don't administer Ubuntu One - that is out of our control. You can always tell whether your are on an ubuntuforums.org page or an ubuntu.com page - the hint is in the URL in your browser address bar. It's not rocket science.

So...

please revert my DISPLAY NAME for my postings on this site back to what it was before, i.e. just "ronbaby"
    Your forum username was never "ronbaby"

P.P.S. I'm sure that someday someone will explain to me why users of these fora must beg others to change their display names here, rather than being allowed to do it themselves... you know... like on 99.99% of the rest of the web sites on the Internet.
    Quite simply, the forum software doesn't allow it - period. We are not going to install a software plugin for this purpose, because:

1. Plugins have the potential to introduce security holes.
    2. Trolls have fun and games changing their usernames. Our tolerance for trolling is precisely 0%.

In summary: please tone down the misinformed melodrama or you will be ignored.

If you want your forum username changed, you need to provide three alternatives that conform to the forum Code of Conduct.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.