Thread: Ubuntu / Lubuntu Boot issues IBM Lenovo T60

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu / Lubuntu Boot issues IBM Lenovo T60

Hello I'm kinda to using Ubuntu / Lubuntu I know a bit about the terminal and its commands etc however after installing Lubuntu alongside Windows XP it loads to a black screen saying dev/sda1: clean, 552599/6111232 files, 7119295/24414464 blocks (this isn't exactly what my device said the numbers will be different but is the same message) It just stays on this screen permanently the only way to get it to load is to edit the grub and add nomodeset to the command line and it runs fine.

On the other side if I install Ubuntu everything is fine no issues after installing it loads right to the desktop.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu / Lubuntu Boot issues IBM Lenovo T60

Anyone got any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There shouldn't really be a difference between Ubuntu and Lubuntu as long as they run the same kernel. Different releases may be different though.

You already solved the problem yourself: add nomodeset.

To make this change permanent, you have to edit /etc/default/grub and run update-grub. See https://askubuntu.com/questions/3878...stalled-ubuntu. Use the answer by Coldfish. I think it's still valid.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You normally only need nomodeset until you install the proprietary video driver from Ubuntu's repostory?
    Do you have nVidia or AMD?
    And what video card/chip?
    If you can boot:
    sudo lshw -c display
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.