Thread: Ubuntu 17.10 & GDM 3.26.2: Back to Black (from Purple)

Beans

Ubuntu 17.10 & GDM 3.26.2: Back to Black (from Purple)

I prefer a dark minimalist Ubuntu desktop for its aesthetic and reduce eyestrain. After three days of effort, I succeeded in changing all purple Ubuntu screen (boot, login, desktop) to black and installed a dark theme. Since I came across a number of posts that had the same objective, but which were incomplete or outdated, I am providing my working setup (on a clean 17.10 install). The boot, startup/shutdown, wallpaper, lock screen, and dark theme are fairly straight forward. However, changing the background on of the gdm login screen proved challenging (but should be relatively easy with the guidance below). I found it necessary to rebuild the gdm .gresource file to eliminate the brief purple flash between login and initial display of the desktop (others suggested installing alternatives like gnome-session, but this only replaces the purple for a gray flash).

1.) Dark Theme (i.e., Ark-Dark)
    2.) Wallpaper & Lockscreen
    3.) Ubuntu Start/Shutdown screen (w/ ubuntu logo)
    4.) Grub
    5.) GDM Login Screen

########################### Dark Theme (Arc-Dark) ###########################

### install arc-theme
    sudo apt install arc-theme

### set theme
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 'Arc-Dark'

################################################## #############################

########################### Wallpaper & Lockscreen ############################

DIR="$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" && pwd )"

sudo cp <wallpaper_1920x1080.png> /usr/share/backgrounds

# desktop wallpaper
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri 'file:///usr/share/backgrounds/<wallpaper_1920x1080.png>'

# lock screen
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver picture-uri 'file:///usr/share/backgrounds/<wallpaper_1920x1080.png>'

################################################## #############################

################ Ubuntu Start/Shutdown Screen (w/ ubuntu logo) ################

xhost +local: && sudo nano /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo.script

### Change from:
    # Window.SetBackgroundTopColor (0.16, 0.00, 0.12); # Nice colour on top of the screen fading to
    # Window.SetBackgroundBottomColor (0.16, 0.00, 0.12); # an equally nice colour on the bottom
    #######################################

### Change to:
    Window.SetBackgroundTopColor (0.0, 0.00, 0.0); # Nice colour on top of the screen fading to
    Window.SetBackgroundBottomColor (0.0, 0.00, 0.0); # an equally nice colour on the bottom

sudo update-initramfs -u

########################## Grub Splash Screen Image ##########################

# copy image file to /boot/grub directory
    sudo cp <wallpaper_1920x1080.png> /boot/grub

# comment out problematic line
    sudo sed -i "/GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0/ s/^/# /" /etc/default/grub

# update /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    sudo update-grub

################ NOTES ################
    # sudo nano /etc/default/grub

# /etc/default/grub provides GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT and GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET.
    # Running sudo update-grub gives following warning:
    # Warning: Setting GRUB_TIMEOUT to a non-zero value when GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT is set is no longer supported.
    # To see custom grub wallpaper, instead of black screen, cannot have both
    # GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT and GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET. Commenting out one or the
    # other will permit #the custom wallpape to be displayed.

# Fix black splash screen in 17.10 by commenting out one of the following two lines:
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 # comment out this line (to show both splash screen and grub menu)
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

# verify update-grub correctly updated splash screen image (search for image filename)
    # cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg

########################### GDM Login Screen ###########################

# extract gresource, replace noise-texture.png, rebuild gresource, copy .gresource into /usr/share/gnome-shell/

# gresource extractor
    # https://www.devpy.me/the-best-linux-lockscreen/
    # https://github.com/devpytech/scripts...source-extract

### Instructions to update GDM Login Screen
    1.) download the scripts on the DevPy GitHub: devpytech/scripts/gresource-extract
    2.) run ./extract.sh to extract your current theme to the "theme" folder in the same folder as the extract script
    3.) edit ./theme/gnome-shell.css (change #lockDialogGroup)
    # background: #000000 url(resource:///org/gnome/shell/theme/noise-texture.png);
    4.) copy background image to ./theme/noise-texture.png (i.e., use same name)
    5.) run ./build.sh from DevPy's GitHub to create .gresource file in the theme folder
    6.) sudo mv ./theme/gnome-shell-theme.gresource /usr/share/gnome-shell/gnome-shell-theme.gresource

################ NOTES ################
    ### Change from:
    # lockDialogGroup {
    # background: #2c001e url(resource:///org/gnome/shell/theme/noise-texture.png);
    # background-repeat: repeat; }

# purple (#2c001e) -> black (#000000)

### Change to:
    # lockDialogGroup {
    background: #000000 url(resource:///org/gnome/shell/theme/noise-texture.png);
    # background-repeat: repeat; }
    Last edited by TJSL; February 1st, 2018 at 10:10 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 17.10 & GDM 3.26.2: Back to Black (from Purple)

Thanks! I hate the purple everywhere!

Beans

The default Orange Shield Screen still appears on resumption after the login screen at start up is allowed to fade out. This happens only at start up. Is there a way to have a custom background for this Screen Sheild also ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Bed time
    Back to sleep
    Thread closed
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful