Thread: Ubuntu 17.10 & GDM 3.26.2: Back to Black (from Purple)

Beans

Ubuntu 17.10 & GDM 3.26.2: Back to Black (from Purple)

I prefer a dark minimalist Ubuntu desktop for its aesthetic and reduce eyestrain. After three days of effort, I succeeded in changing all purple Ubuntu screen (boot, login, desktop) to black and installed a dark theme. Since I came across a number of posts that had the same objective, but which were incomplete or outdated, I am providing my working setup (on a clean 17.10 install). The boot, startup/shutdown, wallpaper, lock screen, and dark theme are fairly straight forward. However, changing the background on of the gdm login screen proved challenging (but should be relatively easy with the guidance below). I found it necessary to rebuild the gdm .gresource file to eliminate the brief purple flash between login and initial display of the desktop (others suggested installing alternatives like gnome-session, but this only replaces the purple for a gray flash).

1.) Dark Theme (i.e., Ark-Dark)
    2.) Wallpaper & Lockscreen
    3.) Ubuntu Start/Shutdown screen (w/ ubuntu logo)
    4.) Grub
    5.) GDM Login Screen

########################### Dark Theme (Arc-Dark) ###########################

### install arc-theme
    sudo apt install arc-theme

### set theme
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme 'Arc-Dark'

################################################## #############################

########################### Wallpaper & Lockscreen ############################

DIR="$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" && pwd )"

sudo cp <wallpaper_1920x1080.png> /usr/share/backgrounds

# desktop wallpaper
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri 'file:///usr/share/backgrounds/<wallpaper_1920x1080.png>'

# lock screen
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver picture-uri 'file:///usr/share/backgrounds/<wallpaper_1920x1080.png>'

################################################## #############################

################ Ubuntu Start/Shutdown Screen (w/ ubuntu logo) ################

xhost +local: && sudo nano /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo.script

### Change from:
    # Window.SetBackgroundTopColor (0.16, 0.00, 0.12); # Nice colour on top of the screen fading to
    # Window.SetBackgroundBottomColor (0.16, 0.00, 0.12); # an equally nice colour on the bottom
    #######################################

### Change to:
    Window.SetBackgroundTopColor (0.0, 0.00, 0.0); # Nice colour on top of the screen fading to
    Window.SetBackgroundBottomColor (0.0, 0.00, 0.0); # an equally nice colour on the bottom

sudo update-initramfs -u

########################## Grub Splash Screen Image ##########################

# copy image file to /boot/grub directory
    sudo cp <wallpaper_1920x1080.png> /boot/grub

# comment out problematic line
    sudo sed -i "/GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0/ s/^/# /" /etc/default/grub

# update /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    sudo update-grub

################ NOTES ################
    # sudo nano /etc/default/grub

# /etc/default/grub provides GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT and GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET.
    # Running sudo update-grub gives following warning:
    # Warning: Setting GRUB_TIMEOUT to a non-zero value when GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT is set is no longer supported.
    # To see custom grub wallpaper, instead of black screen, cannot have both
    # GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT and GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET. Commenting out one or the
    # other will permit #the custom wallpape to be displayed.

# Fix black splash screen in 17.10 by commenting out one of the following two lines:
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 # comment out this line (to show both splash screen and grub menu)
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

# verify update-grub correctly updated splash screen image (search for image filename)
    # cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg

########################### GDM Login Screen ###########################

# extract gresource, replace noise-texture.png, rebuild gresource, copy .gresource into /usr/share/gnome-shell/

# gresource extractor
    # https://www.devpy.me/the-best-linux-lockscreen/
    # https://github.com/devpytech/scripts...source-extract

### Instructions to update GDM Login Screen
    1.) download the scripts on the DevPy GitHub: devpytech/scripts/gresource-extract
    2.) run ./extract.sh to extract your current theme to the "theme" folder in the same folder as the extract script
    3.) edit ./theme/gnome-shell.css (change #lockDialogGroup)
    # background: #000000 url(resource:///org/gnome/shell/theme/noise-texture.png);
    4.) copy background image to ./theme/noise-texture.png (i.e., use same name)
    5.) run ./build.sh from DevPy's GitHub to create .gresource file in the theme folder
    6.) sudo mv ./theme/gnome-shell-theme.gresource /usr/share/gnome-shell/gnome-shell-theme.gresource

################ NOTES ################
    ### Change from:
    # lockDialogGroup {
    # background: #2c001e url(resource:///org/gnome/shell/theme/noise-texture.png);
    # background-repeat: repeat; }

# purple (#2c001e) -> black (#000000)

### Change to:
    # lockDialogGroup {
    background: #000000 url(resource:///org/gnome/shell/theme/noise-texture.png);
    # background-repeat: repeat; }
    Last edited by TJSL; February 1st, 2018 at 10:10 PM.