Thread: Epson scanner driver not working

Beans

Re: Epson scanner driver not working

Quote Originally Posted by ivo.kovacic.sk View Post
    Solution can be found here
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1728012
    See post #25 -
    Epson Iscan
    a) 'sudo ln -sfr /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane'
    b) generate '/etc/udev/rules.d/79-udev-epson.rules'
    content:
    # chmod device EPSON group
    ATTRS{manufacturer}=="EPSON", DRIVERS=="usb", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="*", MODE="0777"

I have used it for Epson V370 and it is working.
    I consider it verified.
    V Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit used and upgraded since 14.04, running on Asus X550C.
    =====

Thank you very much indeed for this solution! I can confirm that it works with the Epson V600 Perfection Photoscanner and Linux Mint 19 64-bit LTS Xfce (based on Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit LTS).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have an old Epson XP-205 which I used for wireless scanning. Worked great in my home network under ubuntu 16.04 LTS. It doesn't work anymore with ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
    Does the suggested solution also apply to network connected Epson printers with scan function ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Tried it and doesn't seem to work. Solved it by installing CUPS and SANE on a raspberry pi and attaching it to the USB port of the printer. Now I'm able to scan wireless again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ivo.kovacic.sk View Post
    Solution can be found here
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1728012
    See post #25 -
    Epson Iscan
    a) 'sudo ln -sfr /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane'
    b) generate '/etc/udev/rules.d/79-udev-epson.rules'
    content:
    ATTRS{manufacturer}=="EPSON", DRIVERS=="usb", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="*", MODE="0777"

I have used it for Epson V370 and it is working.
    I consider it verified.
    V Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit used and upgraded since 14.04, running on Asus X550C.

New installation of Ubuntu 18.04, installed Epson drivers for Epson ET-3750 from for Ubuntu 18.04 Epson web site. Network scanner not recognized neither in Image Scan nor by sudo scanimage -L.
    The above fix proposal does not help because:
    1. There is no /usr/lib/sane directory - all libsane files are already in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane.
    2. There are no libsane-epkowa* files, but there are libsane-epson.so.1, libsane-epson2.so.1 and libsane-epsonds.so.1 files. So no links to create.
    3. There is already /etc/udev/rules.d/79-udev-epson.rules file with the above mentioned content.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 Xenial Xerus

WRONG! Not fixed with 18.04. I waited until I was notified that the upgrade was available with the hope that things like this would not be an issue. Wrong again. Love Ubuntu (12 years) but am getting sick of these types of issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I got tired of fighting with my old Epson 4490, too. Finally coughed up the $79 to replace it with a Canon Canoscan LiDE 220. Plug 'n Play with every Linux I've tried it on, and it's faster and quieter, too.

Holds calibration better, too.
    regards

Beans

This fix is not working for me on an Epson GT-1500. Sane-find-scanner sees the scanner but scanimage -L and sudo scanimage -L do not. Scanner worked perfectly under Fedora 28 last week. I like Ubuntu 18.04 a lot and it seems to do everything quicker than Fedora was which is great. It also fixed a printing problem I was having in Fedora. Unfortunately, I now have 2 programs that did work under Fedora that I use daily that do not work in Ubuntu. Any other ideas on fixing this scanner issue?

Thanks
    Ken

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Not convinced there is really an issue with Epson scanners. Sometimes downloading and installing drivers then setting up the scanner can be complicated.

FWIW, I have an Epson Perfection 1640 connected via USB to a system running Xubuntu 18.04.1. It also works on a system running Xubuntu 16.05.5. The scan function using simple-scan works fine for me.

There is a sane front end for Epson scanners. This is from the man iscan
    Code:
    ISCAN(1)                                            User Commands                                            ISCAN(1)

NAME
           iscan - Image Scan! for Linux SANE frontend

DESCRIPTION
           Image  Scan!  for  Linux (iscan) provides a graphical user-interface to control EPSON scanners.  It allows the
           previewing and scanning of images.  iscan can be invoked either from the  command-line  or  through  the  GIMP
           image manipulation program.

When  run  from  the command line, iscan acts as a stand-alone program that saves acquired images in PNM, PNG,
           JPEG, TIFF, PCX or PDF format. Alternatively, acquired images can be sent directly to a printer, provided your
           print  system  handles  PNG  natively.   CUPS and Photo Image Print System, versions 1.3.1 and later, do this.
           LPRng and other LPD based printer systems may need a little help.  Refer to your print system's  documentation
           for  more information on how to set this up.  When run as a GIMP plugin, the images are passed to the GIMP for
           further processing.

iscan accesses EPSON image acquisition devices through the SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy) interface.

RUNNING UNDER THE GIMP
           As of version 1.15.0, iscan is automatically registered as a gimp(1) plugin if you install the binary package.
           In case it didn't (because you built from source for example), you can register it yourself by creating a sym‐
           bolic link from the iscan binary to one of the gimp(1) plug-ins directories. For example, for  gimp-1.2.x  the
           command

ln -s /usr/bin/iscan ~/.gimp-1.2/plug-ins/

adds  a symlink for the iscan binary to the user's plug-ins directory.  Your system administrator can register
           it for all users by creating a symbolic link in the gimp(1) system plug-ins directory.  After creating such  a
           symlink,  iscan  will  be  queried  by gimp(1) the next time it's invoked.  From then on, iscan can be invoked
           through "Xtns->Acquire Image->Scanning (iscan)" menu entry.

PRINTER SETUP
           When not using the default printer , it is necessary to input the printer name  from  /etc/printcap  into  the
           Print Command field of the Configuration dialog. For example, if the printer name is pm900c, input the follow‐
           ing command.

lpr -Ppm900c

EPSON Scan! for Linux WORKFLOW
           Use the following steps to scan an image with iscan.

1. Select the document source.
                  2. Select the image type.
                  3. Preview the full page.
                  4. Create a marquee (frame) of the image area to scan.
                  5. Auto expose the selected area.
                  6. Select the image destination.
                  7. Scan the final image.

SEE ALSO
           gimp(1), gimptool(1), scanimage(1), sane-scsi(5), sane-dll(5), sane-net(5), sane-"backendname"(5)

AUTHOR
           Noriyoshi Sasaki and Peter Schretlen

Image Scan! for Linux                                 2011-10-19                                             ISCAN(1)
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Well, I've mainly used Fedora the last few years and installing the scanner was as easy as installing the Epson iscan download from their site. After that the scanner worked. Scanimage -L immediately saw it, every scanning program
    could see if and use it. I wanted to try Ubuntu 18.04 and went through the same process and everything seemed to install just fine just like under Fedora. Yet no scanning program can see the scanner. The "fixes" regarding creating the links and the udev rules have not worked. I guess I'm just a little confused and I'll admit, a little annoyed that the two most modern releases of Fedora and Ubuntu act so differently when dealing with the same hardware. Having the same oddity with Kopete messenger program. Trying to connect to an old server install (soon to be updated) and Kopete under Fedora connects just fine. Kopete under Ubuntu gives me TLS errors even though I've setup the user the exact same way under Fedora and Ubuntu. The scanner and messenger app I use on a daily basis at work and cannot be without them. I had no choice but to reinstall Fedora. We do have some spare PCs around here. Maybe I can put Ubuntu on one and see if I can ever get those working in my spare time.

Thanks
    Ken

Beans

I've struggled with this for most of the afternoon. I think I've done everything correctly as described above and in bug #1728012, but my DS-30, which worked fine on 16.04, no longer works as a normal user. It does work as root. Here is my set-up. Do you see any problems?

$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
    Release: 18.04
    Codename: bionic
    $ scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
    check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
    sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
    which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
    $ sudo scanimage -L
    device `epkowa:interpreter:001:010' is a Epson DS-30 flatbed scanner
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/sane
    total 296
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 955 Jun 20 2016 libsane-epkowa.la
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 Jun 20 2016 libsane-epkowa.so.1 -> libsane-epkowa.so.1.0.15
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 295080 Jun 20 2016 libsane-epkowa.so.1.0.15
    $ ls -l /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-epkowa*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Sep 27 14:54 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-epkowa.la -> ../../sane/libsane-epkowa.la
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Sep 27 14:54 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1 -> ../../sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1.0.15
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Sep 27 14:54 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1.0.15 -> ../../sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1.0.15
    $ ls -l /etc/udev/rules.d/79-udev-epson.rules
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 152 Sep 27 16:49 /etc/udev/rules.d/79-udev-epson.rules
    $ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/79-udev-epson.rules
    $

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast