Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update

Beans

Update

I am sending this from a windows computer because I can't get my wife's
    Ubuntu computer to update. It gives this message: "Failed to download repository
    information".
    I know just enough about Linuz to get me in serious trouble.
    So please keep it simple with a lot of detail.
    Not sure if I have this in the right place. If you move it I will not
    be able to find it.
    Thanks for your help.

Beans

Re: Update

Which version of Ubuntu are you using. You might try the suggestions at the links below for some info on how to resolve the problem.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2325039

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1415...ry-information

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Which version? If it's 17.04, that just reached end of life. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

Beans

Thank you for responding.
    Yes she is using Ubuntu-mate 17.04
    Now what do I do? Is there another version I can use that is a good as Ubuntu-Mate was?

I looked at the suggestions to read and they are way over my head. Have no idea how to proceed.
    Since all she does is email and go on the internet once in a while, should I update or install
    from sctarch?
    Last edited by Jack_Shankle; January 20th, 2018 at 10:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Now what do I do? Is there another version I can use that is a good as Ubuntu-Mate was?
    Ubuntu-Mate 17.10
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Shankle View Post
    Is there another version I can use that is a good as Ubuntu-Mate was?
    Yes, Ubuntu Mate. What the other posters were telling you was that the 17.04 release has now reached end of life. 17.10 is currently supported and you should be able to upgrade to that using the link in Impavidus's post. If you need help with that, post back and I'm sure people here will help you.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I looked at the suggestions to read and they are way over my head. Have no idea how to proceed.
    Since all she does is email and go on the internet once in a while, should I update or install
    from sctarch?
    While I'm normally an advocate for doing in-place upgrades.
    With EOL releases, I say go with a fresh clean install.

Remember to save a backup first. As always.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

"Failed to download repository information".
    I am surprised nobody has explained clearly the reason for that message. Ubuntu Mate 17.04, like Ubuntu itself and other Ubuntu flavors, only had 9 months support. That support ended 13 January 2018. It is possible that the repositories from Ubuntu 17.04 and its flavors are updated from are now closed. They may even have been moved to an archive.

When Ubuntu Mate 17.10 was released (October 2017) the system should have prompted your wife to upgrade from 17.04 to 17.10. If this prompting is ignored the system will stop nagging. But all is not lost. There should be a utility that controls updates and upgrades. I do not know what it is called in Ubuntu Mate as I do not use it. I can only describe what I see with Ubuntu.

You should find this utility in System Settings. It may be called Software & Updates. It should have a tab called Updates. Open that tab and there should be a panel labeled "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version." That should have a drop down menu. Choose the setting "For any new version."

If the utility is already set to notify for any new version, then you may have to run some commands in the terminal. This link explains it.

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/how-...e-terminal/885

When we enter a command with the "sudo" prefix we will be prompted for a password. You will need your wife's user password that she uses to log in to Ubuntu Mate. So, now would be a good time for the actual user to take care of updating & upgrading for herself.

Keep in mind that towards the end of April this year Ubuntu Mate 18.04 will be released. When the system nags the user to upgrade it is best to do so before the same problem happens again.

By the way, because the next release (17.10) is still supported you do not need to do an End Of Life Upgrade. Follow the instructions in that Ubuntu Mate link. I am sure that Ubuntu Mate also has a Help document on that system.

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-mate-customization/

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

OK - I have downloaded the ISO Ubuntu 17.10.1 to the Ubuntu 17.04 and it is in the downloads
    of Ubuntu. Now what do I do? I think I have to move it to a dvd but how? Remember I am a
    windows guy trying to help my wife with her Ubuntu 64-bit computer. I have no idea how to do
    the install other than wiping her computer and starting from scratch. I'm wondering what she
    will lose if I do that? She does mostly email and accesses various URLs. She has a ton of folders
    and email contacts. I assume the gmail program will be retained intact in the new install.

The only way I know how to do this is to download Ubuntu 17.10.1 in windows and move it to a dvd
    with a iso program that I have in windows.
    Please help me.
    Thank you

Beans

Backup data: Backup the entire contents of her home directory, including hidden files: /home/<her_username>.
    This will preserve her email and contacts and the rest, which are stored in some of those hidden files.

Set your calendar: Ubuntu releases every 6 months in April/October. Each release is supported for only 9 months.
    That's a three-month window to do the release-upgrade. The 17.04-to-17.10 window ended a week ago.
    Ubuntu, by default, is set to remind her to do the release-upgrade once every day during that three-month window.
    A release-upgrade typically takes about 45 minutes, and can be done quietly in the background. Really.

Remember that Ubuntu is not selling anything. There are fewer system pop-ups than in Windows...but those few alerts are actually important. Get out of the habit of clicking past them.

You CAN release-upgrade Ubuntu without reinstalling. It's fairly easy for skilled users. Remember to use sudo when editing source files.
    However, for most unskilled users, reinstalling may be easier.

Note that during a reinstall, Ubuntu will try to preserve users' /home directory (including email, contact, etc) as long as you don't reformat the data out of existence.
    Backups are definitely your friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast