Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: apt-get update failing on 17.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: apt-get update failing on 17.04

^ Yes

Edit: To add if you feel unsafe in replacing it all, then first copy the original to a backup like so
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak
    then you can delete the contents of the original and replace it with the old releases lines with a safety net in place if that's what you want.
    Last edited by deadflowr; January 27th, 2018 at 06:50 PM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    ^ Yes

Edit: To add if you feel unsafe in replacing it all, then first copy the original to a backup like so
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak
    then you can delete the contents of the original and replace it with the old releases lines with a safety net in place if that's what you want.
    Awesome. Thank you for your help and apologies for dumb questions!

Beans

Hi there, I just finished the upgrade from 17.04 to 17.10, how do I get my sources.list back to normal (pointing to the current release of 17.10)? It currently has those three lines pointing to "old-releases".

Beans

Simply choose a different mirror in your Software & Updates control panel, or edit manually.

Beans

Seems dumb to me that such a 'easy to use' distro breaks all upgrades by renaming the repos, then requires users to manually edit the sources file.

Goofy.

Beans

@CrusoeTP

This is a necessary process if you do not maintian (update) your system. This standard and necessary procedure will update a version that has reached end of life and is no longer supported by the regular sources.

Nothing goofy about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If possible, it would be better if there was a warning about the EoL when it tries to do the apt update. It would be better if there was something that told me what was happening
    or suggested the "do-release-upgrade" instead of me needing to google the error message (which is what brought me to this thread for the solution).

I certainly try to stay updated in general. I encountered this error when I rebooted to my Ubuntu MATE partition on a laptop that mostly runs another OS, but once every month or two runs Linux. And, more to the point, this error is probably only encountered by people who are actively trying to do an update/upgrade of some kind.

I actually didn't seem to need to update the sources.list, but running the do-release upgrade has started a big download/install.

It would be much better if there was something that noticed the EoL and then popped up the "Hey, you're running an EoL version of Ubuntu. Click here to upgrade to a newer release, or maybe consider switching to an LTS version in the future?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by alanhoyle View Post
    I actually didn't seem to need to update the sources.list, but running the do-release-upgrade has started a big download/install.
    cat /etc/lsb-release does indeed tell me that I'm now running 17.10 FWIW, after just running do-release-upgrade once or twice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The OP hasn't been back since the day they started this thread, so we can safely assume they've lost interest. Since then, the thread has suffered two marginal trolling attempts and has been hijacked more than once. Time to close it.

If anyone needs help with failed updates, or upgrades to a supported version of Ubuntu, please start your own new thread.

Thread closed.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12