Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Linux distros will continue to support 32-bit?

Beans

What Linux distros will continue to support 32-bit?

I heard that Lubuntu 18.04 might be the last Lubuntu version to support 32-bit.

So, for the foreseeable future, what Linux distros do you recommend I use for my 32-bit computers? I do not want to throw out my old hardware, especially since they are still working fine.

What I'm looking for in a distro is that they are easy to use and to install just like Lubuntu was, now I have tried Puppy Linux and I found the installer very difficult.

Beans

Re: What Linux distros will continue to support 32-bit?

I'm curious where you heard that? Regardless, what I've been told is that Ubuntu 16.04 32 bit will be upgradeable to 18.04.1 in about August of this year, and it will get security updates throughout the course of its life until April 2023. Right now I'm using the "flashback" session in Ubuntu which is a fairly lightweight DE. And AFAIK the 32 bit mini.iso will continue to be built so I'd think it would be easy for Lubuntu to continue building their 32 bit alternate images if they choose to do so.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

maybe antix?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Lubuntu team here.
    Don't worry about your old installs. We are probably going to be one of the last flavors to do this. At the very minimum 18.04 will be the last i386 release, but we are hoping for longer. See, Canonical only has so much resources. Some flavors don't have a lot of i386 users, so it makes sense to drop it. But for Lubuntu, we have a lot of i386 users, so dropping i386 support will only happen when we are absolutely sure that it is the best move for our users.

By the way, 32-bit is an ambiguous term. amd64 is 64-bit and i386 is 32-bit. I always refer to them as amd64 and i386 and I encourage you to do the same.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lubuntu/com...32bit_support/

Thanks mastablasta, I'll look into that.

Beans

There has been NO discussion of dropping 32-bit on the Lubuntu-devel mailing list.
    Quite the contrary: https://twitter.com/LubuntuOfficial/...32513234096128

Beans

I think its safe to say 32bit will be maintained by lubuntu. I wonder how well gtk3 will be supported in upcoming releases. We have loss 32bit support for Chrome and (when released) FireFox 59 will be only gtk3.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    I think its safe to say 32bit will be maintained by lubuntu. I wonder how well gtk3 will be supported in upcoming releases. We have loss 32bit support for Chrome and (when released) FireFox 59 will be only gtk3.
    Firefox has been using gtk3 by default from version 46: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....t=firefox+gtk3.

But this thread is about 32-bit support.

Beans

Beans

Let's keep this about 32-bit. If you want to talk about other stuff please start a new thread. Thanks!

Beans

Ok, but this being the chat forum, I thought I could get away with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast